This application note shows how to create a synchronized opening and closing of your roller shutters with sunrise and sunset.
The aim of this project is to automatically control a roller shutter:
- Roller shutter opens at sunrise and closes at sunset
For this project we used a Z-Wave system comprising of:
- Zipato MM Motor Controller - used to control the roller shutter via Z-Wave protocol
- Zipato MultiSensor Trio (or Quad) – used to detect the illumination
- Zipato Controller
Setup and Control
The Zipato MM Motor Controller and Zipato MultiSensor Trio (or Quad) detector were ‘Included’ into the Z-Wave network by ‘Adding’ them to the Zipato Controller, further information is available in "Adding new devices on the Zipato Controller" section.
Then we created the following rule in the Zipato ‘Rule Creator’ to control how the illumination activated roller shutter would work. An introduction to the Rule Creator is available in further information is available in "Introduction of Rules Creator" section.
A measure with the Zipato MultiSensor Trio must be done previously to determine the level of illumination at sunrise or sunset. For the purpose of the example, it is set to 20%, it might not be the same for you.
For the purpose of the example, the roller shutter is considered closed when the position displayed by the Zipato MM Motor Controller is at 0% and opened when it is at 100%. If it is not the case for you (100% closed and 0% open) you can adapt the values in the actions blocks of the rule.
This rule works as follows:
1. Main 'When' block wraps the whole rule. The rule is activated with a scheduler configured in 'Repeat' every 15 minutes.
2. The first 'IF' condition is set when the luminance is superior or equal to 20% AND if the roller shutter is not already open (100%)
3. The first 'Action' block set the Zipato MM Motor Controller position at 100%, roller shutter opens.
4. The second 'IF' condition is set when the luminance is inferior to 20% AND if the roller shutter is not already close (0%)
5. The second 'Action' block set the Zipato MM Motor Controller position at 100%, roller shutter closes.
6. Don't forget to 'Save' your rule and then 'Synchronize'