12v DC in and out switch or relay?

Troels Kjær Rasmussen shared this question 8 years ago
Answered

Hi

I am looking for a 12v DC in/out switch either z-wave or 433(NEXA), but can´t seem to find one. I can only find 230v ACin and 12/24v out modules.

I think I must be missing something since you´d expect a 12 or 24v in/out to be a basic need for many devices.

Specifically I need it to control on/off of a inverter connected to a battery. The inverter itself turns 12v DC into 230V needed for outside lightning etc, but since the inverter drains the battery I need it only to be on by sensor trigger or specific hours of the day.

Anyone who can point me to a 12v<> switch or relay running z-wave or zipabox compatible 433Mhz?

Replies (14)

photo

Hi,

have a look at the Qubino Relais.

regards Helle

photo

Hi - they look somewhat like what I need, but the qubino relays/dimmers all have 24-30V DC going in. I need it to be able to use 12V from battery in instead.

photo

Fibaro RGBW is a solution. It is 12/24V in and out.

photo

I have the same for my tape led to the kitchen

photo

Hi,

The main consideration is current that goes to your inverter. Fibaro RGBW only switches up to 6A at 12V (single channel that you can use) which is 72W of power and is just enough for few LED strips. You will have some power loss on converting it to ~230V so you can run roughly 65W of total power of your outside bulbs which usually is not enough.

You should use any Z-wave or 433 module with switching capability and use it to trigger any kind of relay (solid or electromechanical) which will then control (switch) the 12V line. This way you will not have all the current flowing to inverter passing through the Z-wave/433 module. For example you have Zwave/433 module that switches ~230V and you use it to trigger solenoid relay switch that can switch up to 600Amps at 12V (around 6.5kW at 230V output side) in separate circuit which should be enough for most home projects.

Best regards,

Zipato Team

photo

Hi Vedran

Yes I came to the same conclusion when reading specs of the different z-wave based relays. None of the were able to transport the at least 600Ws needed by the inverter. (230V 600W output inverter).

I guess I would need a batteryoperated z-wave/433 switch(e.g.9v or AAA/AA) to control the relay, since I have no 230V in the shed or even close to it. Could anyone point me to any specific battery operated Z-Wave/433 switches that can be wired up with a normal solid or mechanical 12v relay?

photo

Hi,

So it boils down to using Fibaro RGBW for Zwave or some 433 module that works on 12V and that module then controls solenoid relay switch (DC12V coil voltage version instead AC230V) that controls the current to inverter and can handle around 60Amps or even better >80A. Fibaro module takes power from the same battery that supplies power to inverter.

Best regards,

Zipato Team

P.S. Cheap solenoids can be found among used car parts. Power required to hold solenoid in closed position can be less then 1W. And when it is open it doesn't draw any power appart of Fibaro module stand-by consumption. Check this video for some info about solenoids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoGC0BUk5c

photo

Or, you could get an inverter with a low power (signal) on off switch and supply the signal from a z-wave device. I don't know of any such inverter, though

photo

could you use the fibaro universal binary sensor fgbs-321?

photo

I´m going to take the cover of the inverter off in the weekend and see if I can connect a z-wave switch directly to the inverters on/off switch. If not, then it´s the solenoid solution I am going after.

Somebody should however consider producing a simple 10/12/24 VDC switch/relay where the Zwave only pulls the watts it needs and passes the current through external mechanic connection - since in todays world with so many solarpanel powered devices and circuits running 10-12-24 VDC it would have many applications. I was kind of amazed it didn´t really exist.

photo

Actually Qubino has a dry voltage on/off switch. Is that not good?

photo

The Qubino is max 10A@24V

photo

Fibaro FGRGB-101 ?

photo

Still max with the fibaro is around 140 W with 12V. Else would have suited perfectly

Leave a Comment

Attach a file