Large residential project using 108 Zipatiles

Laszlo Szoke shared this thanks 13 months ago

We started a large project based on Zipatile in Arad, Romania. There will be 107 Zipatiles in a 6 storeys building used as intercoms and for home automation. Basic function are: thermostat (relay 1), flood sensor, gas sensor monitoring on the digital input, water valve (relay 2). Some of the apartments have blinds and automated lights. An additional ZT is used as SIP server. 2N Helios Verso intercoms were intalled at the 3 entrance gates. ZTs are connected to the network using an USB-to-Ethennet adapter.

The contract was signed 2 years ago. We took a huge risk then because Zipatile was unstable. We considered that Zipato will correct those errors in two years.

We sold many Zipatiles in the last years but we are not very happy to see that the device is still not perfect. Now I consider that we made a mistake, but the contract is signed, so we have to go on.

Below is a video showing the first finished appartment. The Zipatile on the wall is off because it fails to display its own local values when it goes offline. Not a good start. We found some other ZTs acting the same way in the last weeks. Ticket is still open.

We'll keep you informed regularily about the project. Wish us good luck.

Presentation video at:

https://www.facebook.com/aradplaza/videos/624170934606509/

or

https://youtu.be/E8bKFKOUpu8

Comments (21)

photo

interesting project good luck!

photo

Wow, I think this is the biggest project using Zipato tiles. For sure Zipato should help and support. Good luck.

photo

How is this progressing?

Did you find the Zipato SIP server reliable?

Have you paid for 108 * backup licences, every year, in case you have a problem with any of the Zipatiles?

Did you get Zipato paid support? Any comments from support or Sebastian on this solution and issues?

Would love to hear more when you get the chance. Had a few options to do this ourselves at various stages, but opted for other options, so would like to know if it has been largely successful or not and the issues encountered.

Thanks Laszlo.

photo

I cannot say too much about the SIP server by now because there is just a single Zipatile on it. We'll install many more this week.

We didn't pay for backup licenses for all because most appartments have just a single Zipatile and a flood sensor. So, the setup is very basic.

We also didn't pay for Zipato support yet but will surely do so if things go wild.

I'll keep you in touch.

photo
photo

First week log:

Apartment number C18: Black Zipatile + SIP server license (not PRO, just SIP) - SIP server service sometimes freezes, leaving the Intercom app deisconnected. This behaviour was described in an earlier post. After a power loss on Friday ZT restarted and asked for login. It is an already registered device so it has to start up with the full Zipato launcher interface. It failed to do this. We had to manually enter the username and password again.

Apartment B36: ZT loses his own local values when it goes once offline. for some reason. When in comes back online the cloud icon un the upper left corner does not appear anymore and no temperature, humidity, light.... displayed locally. All the data is available on the phone app connected to the same account. The ZT has to be restarted to come back to normal state. A ticket was opened for it.

Apartment C4: we were unable to register the ZT to the previously created Zipato account. It said Registration failed all the time. We connected it to the network by the USB-to-Ethente adapter, by Wi-Fi to the same netwotk, and to a mobile hotspot but it failed to register. Another ticket was opened for this one. The device has a soldering problem too. The screen sometimes flickers or displays coloured lines even if nobody touches it.

Apartment B9: ZT was earlier registerd by Wi-Fi. Connecting it to the wired network by the USB-to-Ethente adapter it failed to connect to the cloud. We can browse the Internet from it, but it is unable to connect to its Zipato account. It stays offline.

photo

C18- had similar issues and more, glad to see i'm not the only one.

B36- haven't had this experience yet. I have found it slow to update its values when in offline mode though.

C4- I had this issue and found updating all the firmware and apps on the Zipatile, BEFORE registering it, fixed this. Also have experienced the lines issue, but Zipato support told me it was a software issue and new firmware fixed it. I have still experienced sometimes on clients devices, but not often now.

B9- When switching from WiFi connectivity to Ethernet, did you change the primary connection method in the settings of the Zipatile. This is done via the online control center, under settings.

I would also recommend setting the static IP's here also. Even if you do it, as I do, via the router, i found the system a little more stable setting static ip's within the Zipato settings too. Mainly for Cluster and SIP server usage.

photo

We always update ZTs before registration.

All the zipatiles ar set to Ethernet as primary network. All a connected to the wired intercom network, none of them ar using client's Wi-Fi.

We'l set them to fixed IP in Zipato interface. Now are set by the DHCP server reservation. Thank you.

photo

Which firmware you choose to update? We always choose the stable one which is offered by default. May we choose the beta?

photo

B36 : have you tried ticking this box?

/NuEj8kHXrzwAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

photo

@Stillwatter: no, it's not that. Checked or not is does not display local values when it goes offline. This is the only one doing this. Ticket still open.

photo
photo

Succesfully tested the following setup for Intercom:

- 3CX SIP server installed on premises

- 2N Helios doorphones registered to SIP server. H264 codec used for video

- Polycom Video app installed on Zipatile as doorphone client

It rings, you can talk, you can see the doorphone camera. You can easyly unlock the door by pressing 0 on the in-app keyboard. The configuration seems to be stable.

photo

Glad to hear you went with a 3rd party SIP client and all is working ok. Apparently only you and I have issues with Zipato SIP ;-)

photo

Hi, just wondering how the system is holding up thus far?

photo

We have finished some other apartments.

3CX as a SIP server and Polycom Android client seems to be a reliable Intercom solution. It is stable and much more versatile than the built in Zipato combo. As a bonus we can redirect the Intercom calls to external mobile phones when nobody answers on Zipatile.

Ther were several issues during Zipatile registration. There are 15 finished installations, more than a half of them with different problems. Some of them required support from Zipato. One device is on his way back for RMA. Just in a few cases installation was succesful at a first try.

Problems:

- one device: setup did not finish. Ticket still open

- one device: Zipatile with no local sensor values. Back for RMA.

- one device: ethernet adapter loses connection until reboot, It is probably the ethernet adapter. We have to change it.

- one device: screen flickers (not that lines described on the forum), it seems to be a soldering problem. Probably RMA.

- serveral devices: Zipato application wants to update from 2,3,34 to 2.3.36 even when 2,3,36 was already intalled days ago. No solution found.

- 2 devices: unable to register to any account. Solved by Zipato support team.

- several device: at the first restart Android starts upgrading but enters an infinite loop. It optimizes app 75 of 76, restarts, than reloads the process from the beginning. A manual Power Off solves the problem.

- 1 device: a long power failure the Zipatile was so much discharged that is was unable to start when the power came back. It blinks up the Battery Charhing symbol on the screen, tries to boot up but the battery was so discharged that it failed. This generated an infinite loop, Zipatile was never able to charge enough for a succesful boot. It was solved by pressing the Volume down and Power button to enter the Android boot screen. We left it there for one hour to charge the battery. After that the boot was successful and the battery was later charged to 100%.

- one device: no values (temperature, humidity...) are displayed in Types when no cloud connection. It seems that it reads back his own values from the cloud instead of reading them from Internal. Ticket open.

We are going forward.

photo

- one device: no values (temperature, humidity...) are displayed in Types when no cloud connection. It seems that it reads back his own values from the cloud instead of reading them from Internal. Ticket open.

If I'm not mistaken: When this icon is green "cloud" and when it is blue "local"

can be a track? /rhO2f7UjR5Aqv62TH6I7916ySETBiZnoFbl1Z9+g2amAcygiTXMbN0y9htzVz4belRjEAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

photo

No, we clearly know that there is no cloud. The device is offline. But local values must be available anytime. All the other Zipatiles do know and use their local values when are offline, just this one is different. Still under investigation.

photo
photo

Very Interesting project with significant number of Zipatile controller. which is certainly one of the large scale project shared with the community.

I have a Zipato box for several years now... I was one of the early adopters, I did spent hours and hours trying to set the zipato to work correctly in the fist years and was also hoping that Ziapto would rapidly fix issues. Experience shows that support is helping and responsive, wich is a very positive point with Zipato. The box gained stability, which is another good point. But I observe that it is far from being stable and "bug free" to a fully acceptable level. Unfortunaltely, the Zipato has still to be handled by "geeks". To my opinion, "non geeks" will be disappointed with the experience.

Please also note that critizing the Zipato strategy is not allowed on the community. I have been baned from community for several motnhs when I asked questions too intensively in forums, moderators considered that I was too aggressive.... so now I stop asking "aggressive questions" such as "which high availability solution did you implement in your architecture to grant close to 100% availabilty from your servers in the cloud?" I never had an answer. This is why I consider that Zipato team is unfortunately not acting in a professional way.

Was availability one of your criteria when selecting the Zipatile ? did you get some answers from the Zipato team on any of your questions regarding availabilty of their achitecture to grant service to your clients ? (we also experienced issues with Zipato servers being down)

Good luck and please keep us posted on progress.

photo

I do not criticize Zipato in any way. I accept them as they are. Their support team is responsive and helpful. Their management also tries to help me when I need. I am not a dreamer, I do not expect a cheap device to be as reliable as an industrial controller. We sold lots of ZTs so we know well how they are. Far from being perfect. But we always have a very simple choice: not to buy if we don't like the product.

We have chosen Zipatile for this project mainly because it looks good and because the project requires just a single Zipatile in each apartment. A very basic setup. If a ZT fails we will change it. We have an overhead for this. So, availability was not a criteria. I do not really care if cloud servers are down because the main function of the ZTs is thermostat, This always works. Well, almost always :)

photo

Thanks Laszlo for the updates. Appreciate hearing how this is transpiring. It is nice to hear of a larger scale implementation with the drawbacks and advantages of using a Zipato system. We had a few opportunities to something similar but went down another route due to the unclear functionality of certain features. I would hope Zipato is working with you to fix and improve this installation so the controllers are then more robust and the software more reliable and able to be used in more installations like this. It has so much potential.

photo

Thanks guys. You are true professionals and not afraid of difficulties.

I also plan to install ZT on the object for climate control, work with door intercom and external PTZ cameras.

photo

Hello everyone.

We also used GrandStream 3710 with 02 Zipatiles, 01 being SIP Server and another just client, as well as GDS3710 is a client in SIP (Zipatile).

Both (image and audio) were very good without delays, practically real time.

Obviously controlled environment and only 3 devices involved, but everything worked 100%!

The biggest limitation I see at the moment is the Alias to (divert only numeric calls) while keeping the server data and clients.

But using the GrandStream SIP server we can have the GSWave app and the management is literally a "bullet"!

Greetings everyone!

Jorge Quadros

photo