V3 Light for zipabox 1 users. Could it be a possibility?
What about a "V3 light" new firmware?
Could be a great option for all existing customers that don't want/need new hardware.
Essentially a v3 that replicate all the latest v2 features/active packages in the new system.. or at least let the user decide which features to give up (for example give up the cameras)
- all users could have an updated system, without "discrimination"
- platform abandonments reduced to a minimum
- you have only one system to handle, that probably free resources on the cloud.
- users could choice to stay with a light system as is, or upgrade hardware and get an upgraded environment (and if the system will be good could be an incentive to switch to a new hardware..).
- happy customers
- no new incomes from new hardware and probably new packages
- hardware pushed to the limit.
The alternative will be to lose some customers, have lot of customers on the old platform that anyway need a basic manteinance, and only few probably will accept to buy new hardware.