This object is in archive! 

Which Getaway will be the best replacement for Zipabox?

Andrej Jakasa shared this idea 2 years ago
Completed

I can't wait to hear what will be the best replacement for Zipabox (Zipato;)...

Replies (7)

photo

Not fair here

Gerardo

photo

What is exactly not fair in my question?

My Zipabox (in very good technical condition) 5 years old is obsolete obviously and I need to replace it.

So which Getaway I should install... Zipatile, Zipamicro, Zipabox2..3..4...5...???

Don't tell me you have read it wrong and even think that I am talking about different brands?

photo

Sorry, I understood that you were thinking of moving to another brand, this is a hot topic during last days and many Zipato customers are thinking about

Best regards

Gerardo

photo
photo

Right, but this is a result of how customers are treated...

photo

Hello Andrej,

since you were using Zipabox1, the best replacement would be Zipabox2.

If you want a screen with all the features of Zipabox2 on your wall with additional sensors you can buy a Zipatile2.

Best regards

photo

Hello Mario,

So I have to throw my 5 years old Zipabox and buy new Zipabox2?

Am I going to plug new one and everything will be automatically copied to new one which I buy and everything will automatically work like it should?

If I need to send my family to hotel few days while installing new box will Zipato cover the expenses (I can install it by my self while on vacation so no need for technician expenses to be covered)?

Or I can just continue to use my old one without any support and without many things that are never fixed during last 5 years while was not end of life?

What do you think is better?

photo

I am sharing all the important things and related things about Zipabox -What is Z-Wave?Z-Wave is the international wireless protocol for communication in the Smart Home. This device is suited for use in the region mentioned in the Quickstart section.

Z-Wave ensures reliable communication by reconfirming every message (two-way communication) and every mains powered node can act as a repeater for other nodes (meshed network) in case the receiver is not in direct wireless range of the transmitter.

This device and every other certified Z-Wave device can be used together with any other certified Z-Wave device regardless of brand and origin as long as both are suited for the same frequency range.

If a device supports secure communication it will communicate with other devices secure as long as this device provides the same or a higher level of security. Otherwise, it will automatically turn into a lower level of security to maintain backward compatibility.

For more information about Z-Wave technology, devices, white papers etc. please refer to http://www.z-wave.info.

Product DescriptionThe Zipabox by Zipato is the most flexible smart home gateway on the market. Factory-made, it’s equipped with Z-Wave wireless technology, but thanks to its modular expansion capability it can be extended with additional smart home technologies such as ZigBee, EnOcean, 433MHz and KNX. Furthermore, hard-wired connections to older devices (e.g. security sensors) and additional functions (e.g. backup, USV) can be integrated, too. I have also developed erp for small businesses on depending the Zipabox and it's working fine. All extension modules are available separately and can be connected to the Zipabox via the snap-in connection.

The Zipabox has an easy to use but powerful web-based user interface which allows monitoring all connected devices and automation rules, created with the ‘Zipato Rule Creator. The intuitive graphical user interface allows the creation of own scenes and rules without programming skills.

Once configured, the gateway will work independently, but allows cloud support for advanced monitoring, messaging and programming services.

The Zipato Zipabx can be combined with one or more Zipato ZipaTile devices in one network. For this, it is needed to use the “Cloud Mode”, available after “PRO version” upgrade.

Features:

• The flexible extendable smart home gateway
  • Extension with further smart home technologies and functions
  • Manages devices, automation rules and energy consumption in Z-Wave networks
  • Easy to use but the versatile user interface
  • Free mobile app for smartphone and tablet
  • Combinable with Zipato ZipaTile devices
  • Wireless Technology: Z-Wave

Accessories:

• Zipato 433 MHz Extension Module
  • Zipato ZigBee Extension Module
  • Zipato EnOcean Extension Module
  • Zipato KNX Extension Module
  • Zipato Seriell Extension Module
  • Zipato P1 Extension Module (ZIPEP1)
  • Zipato Backup Extension Module
  • Zipato Security Extension Module
  • Zipato Strommess Extension Module
  • Zipato 3G USB-Stick

We would like to point out that this article is not a new product. The product has got the complete functionality and can be integrated into a Z-Wave Smart Home without restriction.

However, the product may have the following characteristics:

• broken seal,
  • damaged packaging,
  • no original packaging
  • missing accessories,
  • minimal signs of wear,
  • no current software version.

We offer to you a guarantee of 1 year. With a possible return you receive a credit note, there is no exchange of the product.

The picture may not correspond to the scope of delivery of the product.

If you are interested in a larger quantity of used products, please contact your sales representative.

Prepare for Installation / ResetPlease read the user manual before installing the product.

In order to include (add) a Z-Wave device to a network it must be in factory default state. Please make sure to reset the device into factory default. You can do this by performing an Exclusion operation as described below in the manual. Every Z-Wave controller is able to perform this operation however it is recommended to use the primary controller of the previous network to make sure the very device is excluded properly from this network.

Safety Warning for Mains Powered Devices

ATTENTION: only authorized technicians under consideration of the country-specific installation guidelines/norms may do works with mains power. Prior to the assembly of the product, the voltage network has to be switched off and ensured against re-switching.

Inclusion/ExclusionOn factory default the device does not belong to any Z-Wave network. The device needs to be added to an existing wireless network to communicate with the devices of this network. This process is called Inclusion.

Devices can also be removed from a network. This process is called Exclusion. Both processes are initiated by the primary controller of the Z-Wave network. This controller is turned into exclusion respective inclusion mode. Inclusion and Exclusion is then performed doing a special manual action right on the device.

Quick trouble shootingHere are a few hints for network installation if things dont work as expected.

1. Make sure a device is in factory reset state before including. In doubt exclude before include.
  2. If inclusion still fails, check if both devices use the same frequency.
  3. Remove all dead devices from associations. Otherwise you will see severe delays.
  4. Never use sleeping battery devices without a central controller.
  5. Dont poll FLIRS devices.
  6. Make sure to have enough mains powered device to benefit from the meshing

Technical Data

Dimensions0.0850000x0.0850000x0.0470000 mm
Weight120 gr
FrequencyEurope - 868,4 Mhz
Maximum transmission power5 mW
Explanation of Z-Wave specific terms

• Controller — is a Z-Wave device with capabilities to manage the network. Controllers are typically Gateways,Remote Controls or battery operated wall controllers.
  • Slave — is a Z-Wave device without capabilities to manage the network. Slaves can be sensors, actuators and even remote controls.
  • Primary Controller — is the central organizer of the network. It must be a controller. There can be only one primary controller in a Z-Wave network.
  • Inclusion — is the process of adding new Z-Wave devices into a network.
  • Exclusion — is the process of removing Z-Wave devices from the network.
  • Association — is a control relationship between a controlling device and a controlled device.
  • Wakeup Notification — is a special wireless message issued by a Z-Wave device to announce that is able to communicate.
  • Node Information Frame — is a special wireless message issued by a Z-Wave device to announce its capabilities and functions.

Hope this content help you properly.

photo

Hey John!

This is an old argument concerning zipabox1 ... "The box no longer integrates the zwave ...." With zipabox2 you have to buy a new differentiated zwave module...

The first question is whether the Zipabox2 + zwave module feedback from V3 is optimal / efficient compared to Zipabox1 operation on V2?

- Connection from a PC

(admin screen to manage modules, scenes and rules: is it more or less practical than the current V2 interface, can we manage the elements in the admin interface in the same way, etc ... as in the V2 environment, etc ...)

- Connection via the Android or Ios app: what are the differences?

What is the feedback from V3?

Secundly, what is regrettable is the lack of visibility given by Zipato on this development with in the process a buyout of boxes and functionalities linked to the rules (purchase of services). The seniority of clients was not taken into account and we end up starting from scratch! Either purchase a box + Zwave module + services or around 350 € minimum ... Starting from zero, we can actually ask ourselves the question of staying with Zipato or leaving ...

The least of things for Zipato would have been to inform all the users of Zipabox1, Zipatile1 in order to accompany them towards Zipabox2, Zipatile2 with a clear, readable and motivating price offer.

Is it too late for Zipato to make this offer or make a second? In order to get off on the right foot?

Regards

photo

I have looked at different options and have now decided to upgrade to ZB2. I really like the Rule Creator and competitors cannot match that. I have had some stability issues over the year but I am sure all platforms suffers from similiar issues (quite clear when reading forums...).

Leave a Comment

Attach a file