This object is in archive! 

What doorlock do you use - and how well does it work?

Marius shared this question 8 years ago
Need Answer

I am planning on getting a z-wave door lock for my front door. I am curious about what other people use - with or without success.

I was waiting for the idlock (idlock.no) to support z-wave, but I'm tired of waiting.,,

So what models do you use, and what is working and not working?

Replies (15)

photo

maybe someone else can help here, as I use electric strikes over locks. For more reliable when connected with a simple inwall module, and I don't have to rely on batteries. I would be interested in what other think is the best at the moment.

photo
photo

Yes, they did send out a test unit with z-wave support in it to Stian (the man with the blog). Initially it was supposed to be released this September, but now they are talking about first quarter 2016, and there is uncertainty if it will work without the controller from the same company. It might be worth waiting for, but I am curious if somebody here have an alternative that works good.

photo
photo

I also use electric strikes, combined with a door controller. I have a key fob reader attached which opens the strike lock. Works great as I can easily add or remove users. I'll probably be able to use the output switch on the Zipato security module to control it via rules............

photo

I'm curious about the electric strikes. Do you have a link of some sort? Is it like a remote door opener where it is not a retracting door bolt, but the door frame that allows it to open?

photo

it is mounted on or in the door frame.

look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkJNACxY-dQ

I use fail secure ones, which means if the power fails, the lock stays locked.

photo

Thanks. In summer, the door should stay unlocked as the kids run in and out from the garden. Does your faile secure lock have a constant "open" sound (humming) when power is applied to it? Do you know if it is designed to be open for an extended period of time?

photo

when it is powered, I hear no humming or buzzing. I use a DC power supply, think with AC you'll hear buzzing.

Not sure whether it can be powered for an extended time........ probably can.

photo

Ok, thanks. My only concern would be when the DC power supply stops working, and everyone is outside... But you might still be able to use a key, probably.

photo

yes, you can still use your key in emergencies :-)

photo

yes it is the best solution. You can setup many rules to allow the door to stay unlock. Such as when your alarm system is disarmed to stay unlocked. It is basically a switch renamed. And I also use a dc PSU with no humming. If you wear a smart watch you can use imperihome app to connect to your phone, which maybe inside, or wall tab, to unlock the door.

We are about to get a Yale Zigbee lock to test with, so I'll let you know how this goes.

photo

Since I have kids in the age between 7-9, I would prefer that it was possible to open it with a keyfob and PIN-code in addition to smart-devices. I am a little concerned about mounting the Zipato RFID keypad outside (even though it would be sheltered from rain). What devices do you use for access, in addition to smart-devices?

photo

We are currently trialing the DoorBird Intercom system. Very affordable compared to other Intercom units, and has many options available to it. We link this to a pin pad or RFID reader or combo unit if the end user requires it. This is attached to the Electric strike. The unit is weather resistant and has its own app available.

photo

I use one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TCP-IP-Network-Entry-Access-Control-Board-Panel-Controller-For-2-Door-4-Reader-/262169454804?hash=item3d0a8468d4

You can connect an RFID reader or other things to it to open the door.

photo

I went for the IDlock, since they were willing to sell the (beta) z-wave chip. It works ok with Zipabox. There are some bugs, but only in the lock itself. The integration with Zipabox works good since the latest beta. IDlock says a future firmware update will resolve the current issues.

I use the Ring doorbell for wifi video and audio when somebody is at the door. It works ok, but cannot integrate with Zipabox directly. The notification on my phone is too late when the doorbell rings, even though the Ring support team have been very helpful

photo

Yes I tested the Ring, DoorBot and Skybell. I found them all late in the notification and connected speeds to interact with visitors. The Doorbird works very well. And should be integrated into the Zipabox also in the next couple of months.

For locks I have used vision, and now installed the Yale Zigbee smart lock. Nice unit and well made. I'll see how the battery levels last, usually lucky to get 6 months out of them. I still prefer to use an electric strike.

photo
photo

The IDlock takes 8 AA batteries, and the manual state up to three years battery life. I seriously doubt that in my case, because of heavy use.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file