This object is in archive! 

Network heal - battery devices

Marius shared this question 7 years ago
Answered

How does network heal work? After all my routing devices have been treated, it starts with the non-routing nodes. Even if i trigger all my battery operated nodes, they will not show in the network heal list.

Will the network heal by itself, over time? Or will all my battery operated nodes never get updated routes? I don't get this...

Replies (3)

photo

Marius,

Network heal is a process that the main controller is recomended to perform after you add or change locations of nodes, sometimes also it helps to bring back online some devices after power failure (like qubino micromodules). Z-wave is a mesh network, this means nodes can talk directly to the main controller and/or through routing nodes, this is what happens when network heal is performed. Routing nodes update neighbour nodes information and searches for the best indirect route to talk (forward) messages from/to the controller. Routing nodes (usually nodes that are connected to a power supply or with higher voltage battery power sources, like digital door locks) are what they call "frequent listeners" or FLIRS, this means the routing nodes are always listening to the main controller, battery powered devices are usually non-routing to save battery power and only "wake-up" based on configuration, all devices have a parameter where this time window is configured, also all this devices have a way of manually wake them up. When you perform a network heal and it's time to update battery powered devices (so they can update their indirect routes to talk to the main controller) only the ones that happen to wake up at that time will update or the ones you manually wake up, triggering actuator or sensors won't do the trick you need to perform a manual "wake up", most devices have buttons and usually 3 consecutive presses wake them up, look in your devices manual.

Best Regards.

photo

I forgot to mention that when the devices "wake up" they also read the configuration from the main controller, so, if you change settings in the controller for them, the changes will take effect after they wake up. Most devices have long "sleep" intervals by default settings, so if you want a setting to take effect immediatly you need to wake up the device manually. If you make this "Sleep" periods short the battery life will dramatically decrease.

photo

Brilliant explanation, thanks Alberto! I thought waking up was the same as triggering. I have one misbehaving battery (door) sensor, that is well within reach of multiple routing devices, and my last hope is network heal. I guess I have to wake it up thoroughly next time :)

Leave a Comment

Attach a file