This object is in archive! 

Adding new motion sensors -- Zipato or Fibaro?

Viriato0811 shared this question 6 years ago
Need Answer

I am about to add 8 new motion sensors to my Zipatile installation.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me which is the more reliable/stable alternative, Zipato or Fibaro?

Many thanks!

Replies (8)

photo

I dont have Fibaro, so unale to comment, however I have zipato duo, tri and quad sensors and all work fine all the time. maybe the tri and quad are the most reliable. I guess the door sensor is less reliable, but this is not required by you anyway.

I also have positive experience with the aeon labs 6 sensor, but I recommend it to be USB powered. This way it also acts as a repeater.

photo

Many thaks Attila!

photo

yes thumbs up for the aeonlans MS6 powered by usb. Fibaro is ok too, have better range than a Zipato Quad. I use Quad for narrow motion sensor options, and have also attached a 3v driver to the battery terminals on some to keep them mains powered. Work well. I find the Quad sensors better than Fibaro in terms on lasting (Battery) longer and response (communication) time. But aeonlabs MS6 are my pick.

For door sensors, I have nothing that matches the Enocean NodOn door sensors for reliability. But this requires a Zipabox with enocean module.

photo

Great advice Adrian. I will check the AeonLabs MS6 as well.

Many thanks!

photo

Hello Viriato,

I currently have Fibaro Motion sensors (both zwave and zwave plus versions), AEOTEC MS6 and Zipato Quads. I think the recomendation I can give you is based on the purpose and infrastructure you have or willing to have.

1. If you have outlets to plug in go ahead with AEOTEC MS6 they work pretty good and I haven't had any issues with it. UV meter is useless. It has the advantage of act as a repeater when used with cable. I have never used it battery operated so I don't know how good/bad is with the battery compared to the others.

2. Fibaro Motion sensors are the most stylish of all, they work good overall and have a good battery life. I like the "eye" LED indicator. There are two downsides, Zipato has had issues in the descriptor a couple times, last one was when the Zwave plus was launched in the market and this issue triggers "MOTION" messages instead of "WAKE UP" messages, or at least Zipato interpret this message as "MOTION". It has triggered a few false alarms at home, after exclusion / re-inclusion and the usage of "Groups" in virtual alarm it is OK. However the new version ones trigger MOTION messages (or detect MOTION) with no one there, this is far less frequent now but I have seen it happen. One recomendation I can give you is to use the screw to fix to the wall and also use some tape to secure the sensor in its base, is very easy to move its orientation while in the base and one of mine just "fell" from a 3m drop and I had to replace it.

3. Zipato Quad works good, is the least stylish from all but it has the benefit of the door/window sensors. You can save some money and buy this instead of two sensors in certain applications. Battery is better than other two but, as people mentioned already, sometimes the window/door sensor does not detect changes or is slow (rare).

4. I just noticed Zipato released their version of motion sensor, take a look;

https://www.zipato.com/product/pir-motion-sensor

Best Regards.

photo

This motion sensor is a rebranded NEO Coolcam. I have at home but it is for sale and have not tested it at all. It does also measure light intensity. It was tested on domotica-blog so Hero-S should have more into on it although he did not post for a while so not sure if he picks up this post and will respond.

photo

Alberto, very many thanks for your detailed and helpful response! We have a great community here.

I will do as you suggest and start with the MS6 in those places where I can plug the devices. I will wait to read some comments or reviews about the new Zipato motion sensor -I guess that the people at Fibaro must not be very happy with the design ;-). If reviews are OK, I will pull the trigger for the new Zipatos.

Un abrazo

photo

I use aeon multi 6 on battery.

For motion detection, this works perfectly fine without usb. I use them to turn philips hue lights on and off. The motion signal is relayed instantly and in the last 6 months it has happened only twice that a light did not turn off after I left the room. I cannot even tell if this was the sensor's fault, or if the signal got lost somewhere else on it's way to the hue lights (there is a LAN http request involved after all)

However, most other capabilities (temperature, humidity) require USB power. I tried to use the thermometer, but on battery you only get a meter update every X minutes. And you have to set the interval to 20 mins or more or else the batteries die within a couple of weeks. On USB power you can get instant temperature updates.

The problem for me is... a thermometer, I can easily place somewhere near a power source. But a motion detector is best placed somewhere near the ceiling, far away from power sources. So I can only use the Aeon multi as motion sensor on battery now, and for that they are a bit pricey - assuming other sensors would work just as good.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file