I have a SmartThings (Hub v2.0 - UK version) setup comprising of:

12 ST multi sensors

2 ST motion sensors

1 ST outlet

1 ST key fob

1 ST water sensor

1 Aeon Siren (gen 5)

1 Fibaro smoke detector

All in all, that is about 17 Zigbee HA 1.2 devices and 2 EU Z-wave devices.

I am considering the possibility of migrating over to Zipato platform.

Can someone please confirm that my Zigbee devices will work?

Also, what is the minimum hardware requirements for the Zipato hub?

Thank you very much in advance.

Replies (7)

photo

Wonder why would you want to change from Smartthings? Is it reliability, or just does not like the interface?

Zipabox with additional zigbee module should be able to handle the work, but as we all know, it is still not reliable enough, so you might run into device issues where one or more devices will need to be sorted by the support from Zipato.

Otherwise the interface is nice.

photo

Iam also intrested to hear about your experience with SmartThings and why you would like to migrate to the Zipato platform

photo

Hi there,

ST platform is nice and the interface is clean. However MANY people face stability issues and if you take a look at the forums you will see that most would not trust ST for security purposes.

The main difference between ST and Zipato (the way i see it) is that in Zipato all the logic runs locally on the hub, whereas in ST only part of it runs locally.

In my particular case most of my devices are local devices and (hopefully) the simple rules i have created run locally as well. I have on purpose kept my rule set simple. It may also have to do with the fact that most of my devices are directly from ST.

I have not had stability problems so far. However, i am deeply troubled by what i read in ST forums.

Problem is, i have spent quite an amount of money on Zigbee devices and i want to have the option of reusing them IF i migrate from ST to another system.

I saw Zipato and i think i like the interface as well as the fact that the logic runs locally.

Please feel free to ask me anything about my experience with ST.

photo

As the ST devices run a Zigbee HA1.2 protocol they should be compatible. You may be have all the options of a z-wave device, such as changing specific parameters of the ST device, but they should connect and be able to be used in the rules. You will need the Zigbee expansion module with the Zipabox though.

You can always email support and see if they have any experience with these devices. support@zipato.com

And welcome to the Zipato community.

photo
photo

Hey I have recently dropped SmartThings and have now moved to Zipato. Other than having some issues getting my Aeon Tec motion sensors working (still wanting to try to figure it out myself before I post on the forums). But for the most part I am really impressed with the Zipabox. The user interface is simple and easy to use.

With regards to SmartThings, I also had the v2 hub and had horrible reliability problems. I had devices stop working after a few days, only to be added back in and then something else would drop off. But the main frustration I had with ST was that the timed events sometimes did not fire or an event would fire like 5 times!

I have currenlty just boxed up my ST starter kit I brought and for the rest I only have Z wave. I had considered getting a ZigBee module myself so I could reuse the ST sensors, but not tried it yet myself.

photo

Hi Scott, thanks for posting your comments. I had only the v1 ST and found it horrible. With the Zipabox rule creator the best thing is the more complex rules and scenarios I can create. And it does run locally if needed. Obviously rules that use external servers like weather stations will not work, but my basic security and control is still active.

photo

Yeah, that is the point. Being able to run locally critical components like security. Of course there will be dependencies on external servers for other stuff.

photo

But every time zipatos sever have hade problems my box/rules have stopped working?

I wonder why?

photo

Yes a few have had this issue, myself included. Not sure why this is happening all of a sudden. But my box has been modified so profusely it is probably acting like an old computer that needs reformatting.

photo

I have noticed the samthing as Jacob. When the servers have been down, even simple rules that are not dependent on serverinformation dont run.

photo
photo

Did anyone ever get ST Sensors working with Zipato, I have brought a ZigBee module and I still can not connect ST Sensors.

photo

I'm actually considering doing the exact opposite, that is migrate from Zipato to Smarthing as I am fed up with he lack of responsiveness of Zipato whenever I'm stuck on a problem. I'm just afraid some of my Zwave devices won't work...

photo

I think I have to agree with you, smart things is so much better than it was. zipato just gets worse and worse.

photo

So you think all our engineers are only ruining Zipato every day?

photo

No we don't and you probably work hard, but put yourself in our shoes; we want a system that works and if it does not right away (which we can understand) at least some sort of responsive customer service that let us know why it does not and when we can expect it to work.

I bought Zipato because I thought you were the best - and I still think you have a very good solution - but here I am, with my Virtual Thermostat problem and nobody is there to help me. Isn't it understandable that I look around to see if there is another solution I can rely on?

photo

Fair comment I think.

photo

I understand your point. However, please note that Zipato is only a platform which enables people to make their systems on top of it. But who is making a system, which knowledge he has, what kind of devices are used, what kind of configuration and rules, and in which environment it is working are much more important points when discussing reliability of the system. In general, System maker is generally the one who is responsible for the System reliability and he's the only one who understand the system he made. We are just trying to help as much as we can, although there are thousands of different systems made on Zipato platform worldwide and we just can't solve all of everyone's issues. Anyway, we do our best so thank you for understanding.

photo

I really do understand (I've worked in IT, so believe me I really can relate), that is why I always try to investigate and call for help in the forums before I open a ticket. But in the present case, from what I understand (from another guy who apparently had the same problem), there is a bug and it's not due to my lack of ability to understand the system.

More than anything it's more the global customer satisfaction which is important. A simple reply saying "we are aware of your problem, we're working on it and we'll get back you in 2 days" would be enough to make 99% of your customers happy.

Or "this is not a bug, it's a programming issue and if you want us to fix it, we unfortunately have to charge you €65/hour"

But at least something.

I'm saying all this because I would like you guys to succeed (I really do), especially since Home Automation seems to finally be picking up these days (probably because of Alexa and Google Home assistant) and it won't take long before the big players ravish the market. And I would hate this.

This being said, thank you for taking the time to comment in this forum Sebastian, don't be discouraged by some angry customers like me ;-), but please work on your customer satisfaction; it's key.

photo

@Robert Which system/provider do you use now? I'm tired that my Zipabox is restarting almost every day. This morning I discovered that my outside lights is still on, they should not.

photo

also intrested, have same problem restarts every morning at house wakeup , sadly i think i have outgrown zipato and need more powerfull system that can handle around 250 devices and 250 rules. I realy dont understand why zipato doesent have a more powerful hardwere available. I dont see homey as option but maybe homeseer?

photo
photo

I never said anything about your engineers. My point is more on the product really. I think it is just not as stable or reliable anymore, also response times are much slower. Some times sensors turn the lights on, sometimes they don’t, some times they just wait until I have been and gone then turn on.

photo

I'm curious about these reports of devices randomly operating. The only thing that's comparable to that that I've experienced is a couple of Z-Wave sockets turning off by themselves (actually they end up in a strange half-on, half-off state). So are the motion sensors detecting motion when there is none?

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file