This object is in archive! 

Capacity of Zipabox?

patrik wihlborg shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

I would like to know the capacity of the Zipabox, how many devices and rules can the box handle without to much problems? I run 122 devices and 60 simple rules.

I have zipabox duo with z-wave and 433 modules.

Interested in learning more about other "large systems" and how they perform.

Replies (7)

photo

i recently had about 110 on a zipabox and about 80 rules. Cleaned everything up and moved some to a zipatile to lessen the load. But I wouldn't necessarily recommend going above 100 devices on a single network and about 100 rules at most. I think the zipabox will struggle otherwise. Also certain IP devices will slow it down and cause reboots like multiple cameras or Sonos, Nest devices.

photo

Thanks Adrian, much appreciated. I also have several ip devices, itach, sonos, hue, alexa, cam.

I think i reached maximum load on my zipabox and are facing problems with sync and frequent restarts.

What would be the best way to move forwards? I dont want the zipatile. If i get another zipabox i have to pay pro licence for both boxes? Also reading about cluster related problems and afraid of going that path. Mayby i also have to pay 2xsupport? Realy i need a more powerfull system, what are the options?

photo

Hello Patrik,

We just released Zipamicro so if you do not need a display type controller you can try that one. It's a lot faster than Zipabox since it has better hardware.

https://www.zipato.com/product/zipamicro

BR,

Mislav

photo

Thanks Mislav for fast reply,but zipamicro doesent control 433 devices, right? so i need zipamicro in cluster with my zipabox duo?

Then i need PRO license on both boxes, right?

Then what is the capacity of zipamicro? 250 devices 250 rules?

Or have i sadly grown out of zipato and need to look elswere?

photo

I wonder the same thing

photo

For 433 devices you will have to continue to use ZipaBox. We are working on new licence packages which will give the possibility to buy separate PRO features (cluster) for a smaller fee so this could be one solution.

Second solution is to wait for a new version of ZipaBox which will be available this year, but we still do not have an exact launch date.

You can remind us about ZipaBox in two month, we should have a timeline by then.

Regarding 250 devices it can be done with Zipamicro if you have a good mesh network or the devices are close enough to the controller.

250 rules - this depends on the rules and the necessary proc power but if 60 rules work on your ZipaBox 250 should work on ZipaMicro.

BR,

Mislav

photo

Great answer Mislav, i am litle bit confused why you never did support Rfxtrx433 , this together with the zipamicro would have done it al!

Rfxtrx433 is top voted since wery long time wich also confuses me.

I hope for a new zipabox with "enough" hardwere power to run everything. And much better supported 433.

photo

I to am awaiting the new Zipabox. I actually really like its design and the expansion modules. I always wanted it more powerful, so an update is great. i was worried it was going to be discontinued. The only thing I think is missing from the Zipabox is an expansion module for relay controls. It has always been such an obvious addition but never done.

Yes Patrik, if you were thinking of going down the ZipaMicro route, I would avoid it and just get the Zipatile. At least this is a powerful as the Zipamicro, but has the added features of Zigbee, bluetooth and tablet all in one. Plus the Pro licence for each controller.

photo

I have 265 devices and 239 (very complex) rules on a Zipabox :-)

photo

how many of those are actual devices vs virtual? How many different networks do you run on? 239 rules is good though.

photo

I have:

8 blinds/awnings plus a temperature sensor on 433.

A light sensor on EnOcean.

4 Sonos Plays, a Boost and Connect plus 2 Nest thermostats over IP

1 Aeon multi sensor, 9 TKB/Duwi sockets, 2 dual Fibaro switches, 3 Fibaro flood sensors, 1 countdown timer and a CO2 sensor on Z-Wave.

The rest are virtual devices. 25 virtual meters and most of the rest are virtual switches.

I have ModBus devices but they're currently inactive.

photo

I have a Cluster and in it a ZipaBox and a ZipaTile. Due to historical reasons most of the devices are linked to the Box. I am not keen on switching them to the Tile as I would have to exclude and reinclude all of them. So linked to the Box I have

Virtual

- 2 Thermostat PRO

- Weather

- Intruder Alarm

- 9 Virtual switches

433 MHz

- 12 Door/Window Sensors

Z-Wave

- 1 Sirene

- 2 Motion Sensors

- 8 Door / Window Sensors with Temperature and Brightness Sensors

- 2 Radiator Valves

- 3 Fibaro Dimmer

- 1 Roller Shutter

- 4 Double Switches

- 6 Power Outlet Adaptors

- 2 Temperature-, Brightness- and Humidity Sensors

- 2 Wall Switches

- 2 Keyfobs and

- 1 RFID

By accident the Zipatile got 4 Smoke and Fire detectors linked

On top 30 Rules are active. So far meanwhile the system is stable - as long as the Zipato Firmware updates are working proberly ;-)

photo
photo

Is new Zipabox going to be compatible with old expansion modules?? it would be a shame to have to upgrade every single expansion module in order to get more power.

photo

I have around 124 devices on my Zipabox (between Zwave, Zigbee and Virtual) and over 120 rules running. I have to say that after about 80 rules I did notice zipabox was a bit slower and rebooted far more often, many things could have caused these issues (like bugs on firmware upgrades and failures on servers), at this point I have issues to synchronize my zbox, everytime, the first time I hit sync it fails no matter what. It takes a few attempts so the rules can be synced.

photo

Now, when I change a rule the box almost always reboots shortly afterwards. Synching rules (via the API) works immediately, but to do a general synch I have to try three or four times.

photo

So is there a new model of the Zipabox being released?

photo

I commented on the launch date a few posts before:

"Second solution is to wait for a new version of ZipaBox which will be available this year, but we still do not have an exact launch date."

BR,

Mislav

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file