Alexa - Scenes - Configurable phrase to execute

MaLi shared this idea 6 years ago
Under Consideration

Alexa - Turn on - "All Lights Off"

It feels a bit counter-intuitive to turn on something that can do so much more than just turn on something, so I would request that the phrase to trigger/execute/run/set a scene is changed to something other than "Turn On" or better yet, can it be made so that it is configurable ?

Personally I don't use "Scene" in naming any of my scenes so "Set Scene" would be my preference.

Replies (4)

photo

I have the same problem with "Alexa, turn on all lights off", It would be very nice to be able to at least pick from a few options like "run scene..."

However this is on Amazon side I think, they use the same "Trigger phrase" to all home automation hubs.

photo

Do what I do, create a switch that runs the scene. A switch named all lights/everything. Alexa turn all lights off, this runs a rule to run the scene all light off.

My request is still to get the on and off working with dimmers, this is very frustrating and confusing for customers. Also to add open/close for gate/motor/doors/blinds.

Also now Amazon have added colour choice to rgbw lights. This would be nice Zipato.

photo

Maybe there's a better option for some scenarios. With IFTTT, you can say "Alexa, trigger <phrase>" to trigger an applet/recipe. You can then set up a rule to trigger the scene in Zipato when an HTTP request is received from your IFTTT applet.

"Alexa, trigger open blinds" sounds less clumsy to me than "Alexa, turn on open blinds"

photo

Hey Dav, now you have "Routines" you can program within the alexa app for this. Routines allow you to program a custom phrase and choose what it does with your smart home devices. I now use this for "Alexa open (all) blinds" or "Alexa open bedroom curtain". Works well. And you can still use "Alexa turn on" or "set bedroom blind" also.

photo

Hey Adrian

That sounds interesting. The thing is, I think I have an older version of the Alexa App that doesn't have routines. The Play Store says that the app is "incompatible with my device", for some reason, even though I have the correct version of Android. I downloaded and installed the APK but it may not be the most recent one.

Could you tell me what version of the app you have? It's under Menu-Settings-Alexa app info

photo

It's OK, it's not the app, because even on the web site (alexa.amazon.co.uk) I can't see Routines, either. I'll ask customer support what's going on.

photo

I had the same issue with my android app, i wasn't available on the play store. Maybe a geo location block. But I went to the Amazon website, (on my phone), app download, https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#cards , and it took me straight to the play store, but the new app was available to update. Strange as I could not get this version otherwise.

This updated to the new version and everything is available.

photo

"Not available in your country". Sigh. I'll have to wait for the official launch of the Echo in Spain - coming soon, apparently.

photo

have you tried just downloading the newest apk and installing that directly?

photo

Yes, I looked into that, but I had trouble establishing exactly which version was the latest one. Can you give the version numbers you have? There are two. Mine says:

Client version 1.24.202089.0

Bridge version 2.1.97.5

I have an APK that looks like it might be newer, but I'm rather cautious about these things.

photo

@davidP, send me an email and i'll extract the Alexa app I have and forward you the apk. Then you know it will be safe.

sales@liteautomation.com.au

photo

currently running Alexa app vesion

android, CV 1.24.202089.0 , BV 2.2.211814.0

photo

Brilliant! I installed the version you sent me and it has "Routines". Now to play with it. Thanks!

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file