This object is in archive! 

Adding a delay in a scene

Nathan shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

I'm trying to wrap my head around creating a scene but need to add some delays. I'll be turning on about 15 pinball machines attached to controlled outlets. I don't want them all to power on at the same time. I'd like to do one or two at a time followed by a 2 second delay before the next one turns on.

How do I add a 2 second delay in between outlets?

I want it to be controllable via Alexa, so I think it has to be a scene?

Best Answer
photo

Hi Nathan. Do you really need to use the scenes at all?

Just do a rule named "Pinball start up" and trigger each switch device one by one with a delay using a wait block in the rule puzzle.

To trigger your rule you can use any type of remote control, wall switch, time scheduler or a virtual switch named Pinball on.

// Henning :)

Replies (5)

photo

I think I got it. I created a virtual switch that is turned on by the scene. When the scene is turned on, it runs the rule that turns on each outlet followed by a "Wait 2 seconds" block. I'll have to test it when I get home.

photo

Hi Nathan. Do you really need to use the scenes at all?

Just do a rule named "Pinball start up" and trigger each switch device one by one with a delay using a wait block in the rule puzzle.

To trigger your rule you can use any type of remote control, wall switch, time scheduler or a virtual switch named Pinball on.

photo

Thanks for the help. I got it to work. How do I handle the virtual switch once everything is on? I'm assuming it needs to be turned off right after running?

photo

Hi. OK. You can leave the virtual switch on if you like but then you might not be able to trigger it next time.

I normally turn off the trigger switch at the end of the rule.

Send a picture of your rule if you need any more detailed advice.

photo

Thanks for your help Henning. I just got back from being out of town. I can't seem to get it to allow me to turn off the HTTP swtich at the end of the rule. It doesn't fit in the block. How do I turn it off?

9a38c45e63c928ba19b1b79d4b342c8d

Leave a Comment

Attach a file