This object is in archive! 

Long time ago

Kristian Olofsson shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

When the Zipabox was introduced I was one of the pioneers in testing the solution. I bought it directly from Zipato since there was no dealers yet. I switched 3 years later to a different solution since it was unreliable.

Now when I read this forum again, It just seems like nothing changed? Or am I mistaking?

- Servers are still unstable and not reliable

- The solution is not stable when using larger implementations

- When becoming a more advanced user you need to pay for extra services

Just tell me, what changed in the last decade? Is the solution stabile?

Kristian

Best Answer
photo

I have been with Zipabox since it was beta. Yes, there are some instabilities, they have created some wonky pricing structures for expected services; however, I have not seen another system that compels me to abandon the hundreds of hours I have invested into my home automation configuration with Zipato. I haven't purchased anything else from them and refuse to spend another dime with Zipato until they deliver the integration with Google Home that they promised before the end of 2016. If my system crashes and I do not have a backup because they charge for a simple backup, that will be compelling enough to move my configuration over to a competitor's system.

From my perspective, Zipato's poor reliability and poor delivery of new features is not sufficient enough to drop them. I have been using their system for around 4 years now with an approximate 99% reliability. I have not given Zipato any additional money since my original purchase since they have not delivered any capabilities in that time that warrant buying an upgrade. I have many projects for my home automation that I am waiting for Zipato to deliver and my money is ready and waiting to spend on them (or a competitor) once the features I need are available.

What I see is the biggest challenge in the home automation industry is all the new systems coming in that have so many security holes. I am in the information security industry and from what I can tell, Z-Wave is the most secure by far. It isn't the cheapest solution and it had a steep up-front investment, but compared to those cheap WiFi devices many companies are peddling that are trivial to hack, I only trust something like a Z-Wave or Zigbee HUB that isolates my automation from the Internet hackers. From what I can tell, Zipato is moderately concerned with security and that puts them in the top 1% of all the home automation providers.

Bottom line, at least for me, Zipato is the solution I have selected because of their promise of greatness and have no reason to leave (or spend any additional money with) until something better comes around.

Replies (1)

photo

I have been with Zipabox since it was beta. Yes, there are some instabilities, they have created some wonky pricing structures for expected services; however, I have not seen another system that compels me to abandon the hundreds of hours I have invested into my home automation configuration with Zipato. I haven't purchased anything else from them and refuse to spend another dime with Zipato until they deliver the integration with Google Home that they promised before the end of 2016. If my system crashes and I do not have a backup because they charge for a simple backup, that will be compelling enough to move my configuration over to a competitor's system.

From my perspective, Zipato's poor reliability and poor delivery of new features is not sufficient enough to drop them. I have been using their system for around 4 years now with an approximate 99% reliability. I have not given Zipato any additional money since my original purchase since they have not delivered any capabilities in that time that warrant buying an upgrade. I have many projects for my home automation that I am waiting for Zipato to deliver and my money is ready and waiting to spend on them (or a competitor) once the features I need are available.

What I see is the biggest challenge in the home automation industry is all the new systems coming in that have so many security holes. I am in the information security industry and from what I can tell, Z-Wave is the most secure by far. It isn't the cheapest solution and it had a steep up-front investment, but compared to those cheap WiFi devices many companies are peddling that are trivial to hack, I only trust something like a Z-Wave or Zigbee HUB that isolates my automation from the Internet hackers. From what I can tell, Zipato is moderately concerned with security and that puts them in the top 1% of all the home automation providers.

Bottom line, at least for me, Zipato is the solution I have selected because of their promise of greatness and have no reason to leave (or spend any additional money with) until something better comes around.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file