This object is in archive! 

switch from zipabox 1->2

Oliver shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Hi,

I'm an early adaptor of the system - since a couple of years my alam partition, shutters and some rules are working fine (using only 433 and z-wave systems). Now I guess I need to switch to the new app etc. to be future-proof.

What do I have to be aware if I want to switch from zipabox 1 to 2 in case of license, rules stuff etc.

Is there a plan/ document how the HW migration?

thanks for your support.

cheers

Oliver

Replies (6)

photo

Hi

if you intend to migrate form V2 to V3 then I would like to infrom you about the following:

- it is possible to transfer all real devices from V2 to V3 but all virtual devices (alarms, thermostats, rules, scenes) should be recreated on the V3

- it is not possible to transfer devices (Backup/ Restore) from Zipabox1 to Zipabox2 - Backup/ Restore is possible on the same controller types

- ZipaBox1 is not suitable for using on V3 since it is not compatible with the latest fw versions which are required for Master-Slave configuration. ZipaBox1 can be used on V3 platfrom just like a single Slave server to control its devices but without using them in the virtual devices (alarms, rules etc.)

- all licenses will be transfered from V2 to V3 - you need to submit a ticket and zipato Support team will transfer license to controller which you migrated from V2 to V3 (conroller must be added to a system on V3)

At the moment we plan to implement folowing updates which are interesting for ZipaBox1 users:

- fw version which will enable using of ZipaBox1 in the Master- Slave configuration

- functionality to transfer devices between Master and Slave servers even when both are not of the same type. In your case, it will enable Backup/ Restore procedure from ZipaBox1 to ZipaBox2

photo

Great opportunity to switch !!!

photo
photo

Thanks for info.

How about if only changing system from zp1 to zp2 and staying on v2 environment for now (and wait v3 to mature a bit more)

What are the steps to make it happen?

Thanks

photo

Hi

in that case licences can't be transfered from ZipaBox1 to ZipaBox2. To transfer all devices, you need to do it manually since Backup/ Restore is not possible between different controller types.

When new fw will be ready for ZipaBox1 it wlll be possible to use it on V2, too.

photo
photo

I operate Zipabox1 for years now and I have bought Zipabox2. However, as many of the users in a similar situation I did not dare to switch because a the restrictions described by Dino.

The new FW would be great.

Dino, when do you expect the new FW will be released. (is thee e a beta?)

photo

Hi

at the moment we don't have a planned date for the release of the new fw version for ZB1 but as soon as we will have it, I will inform you.

photo
photo

Hi Dino,

Any update on expected date for this New firmware? Even approximately?

Thanks

photo

Hi Dino,

Any update on expected date for this New firmware? Even approximately?

Thanks

photo

I tried to go from Zipabox1 to Zipabox2 V3. I had many problems - in particular with 433 devices and gave up. Also I do not like the new App.

In the past I had experiences with several controllers:

-Zipabox1

-Devolo

-Fibaro

-Zipabox2

My resume is that Zipabox1 was the best!! The rule creator is unbeatable. Integration of 433 works fine. Zipato includes more devices than the others. The drawback is that it relies heavily on the availability of the zipato server - every rule change must be synchronized. The sever was often down. Documentation and customer support needs improvement.

Devolo and Fibaro are most reliable. However, the rules for the Devolo controllers are just for dummies. Fibaro is fine but to create sophisticated rules you have to write LUA scripts and it does not support 433 devices properly.

As I use several controllers at the same time I transfer actions and events from one to the other via relays and switches. However, in the long run I will decide for one system/controller. It may be Fibaro. It is the most stable one.

photo

Have you thought about Homey? I'm not sure yet, but that could be my next controller.

photo

I was interested in Homey. But is is too expensive just to try it out. It has a good reputation but the rule creator seems to be not as powerful as Zipato's. I suspect the rule creator is similar to the one in Fibaro HC.

Nonetheless I decided to leave Zipato reluctantly and now I concentrate on Fibaro HC3. I think there is no Controller, which combines all the goodies in the z-wave world. Everyone has it's drawbacks.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file