This object is in archive! 

Questions about Zipabox compatibility/features

David Pritchard shared this question 8 years ago
Need Answer

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering the Zipabox as my home automation solution. I have (or will have) the following devices:

- Siber Sky (Brink Renovent) Ventilation with KNX interface

- Z-wave devices such as TKB & Duwi on/off switches

- Nest & Tado thermostats

- Roomba vacuum cleaner with Roowifi add-on

- Sonos Play:1 & Connect

- Somfy RTS blinds & awnings

It's hellishly difficult (probably impossible) to find a system that supports all of those, but Zipabox comes pretty damn close. As I understand it, it will control KNX devices (with the extra module), and also operate Somfy blinds, Sonos, Nest and Z-wave devices. Searching around also suggests that Duwi & TKB on/off switches will work OK.

I understand that Somfy control requires the 433MHz module.

My questions:

- Can Sonos components be added or removed from groups?

- Does Nest support require some kind of extra option? (I read $49 somewhere but I can't find a definitive list of premium options anywhere)

- Has anyone managed to control a Tado thermostat or Roowifi, or do plans exist for adding them?

- Does the KNX control require a wired connection to the devices? (There is an RF version of KNX)

- In browsing the forums I saw that HTTP requests are limited unless certain premium features are activated. Is this true?

- I know that Tado has published an API. Example of usage:

http://c-mobberley.com/wordpress/2014/09/28/interacting-with-the-hidden-tado-thermostat-api/

Since it appears that Zipabox allows you to send HTTP requests, I presume that means that some interaction with the Tado should be possible?

My overall impression of the Zipabox is that it's a very promising system, but a bit rough around the edges. If I'm convinced that it's got a good future, I'll probably take the plunge.

(If I've put too many questions in one post I can split it up :-) )

Many thanks for any info.

Replies (4)

photo

Info with respect to one of my questions. It seems that some partial control of the Roomba is possible via Roowifi issuing commands like this:

http:// Roomba_Wifi_Remote_IP /roomba.cgi?button=CLEAN

This appears to be something Zipabox could also do. Although I'm not sure about retrieving information from the robot about its current status.

photo

So... not many people here, then.

photo

There are some people, but probably not many who have a Roomba, so not able to answer that question :-) You probably can retrieve info from the Roomba via same commands.

Same goes for Sonos or KNX, I have neither so don't know.

All the extra options will cost extra as soon as they deploy firmware version 1.0. So if you get your box now and register you will get those options for free.

photo

OK. Which options are you referring to? HTTP requests?

Is there a date for deploying firmware 1.0?

Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file