This object is in archive! 

Licencing

Rupert Rieger shared this idea 8 years ago
Under Consideration

One word about the new licencing fee.

I bought the Zipabox when licencing was not yet published.

And i decided between Fibaro and Zipabox.

In the meantime i am using 36 devices and it will get more.

But, surprise, surprise, now, I have to pay a yearly fee to get a sensefull functionality.

And because of the cloud every remote access via virtual (p.e. Speech Control with Autovoice is very slow an unsafe).

In 10 years this makes a sum of € 1200,--, wow!

Sorry i am not ready to pay such a sum and i am very very disappointed.

In the next month i will buy a Fibro-Box,

then i have to pay once and i have no troubles with the cloud.

Replies (3)

photo

Hild on a moment. If it was working before and now it is not, just contact support to get it fixed. The yearly fee currently should not apply to anyone as version 1.0 is not released yet. Furthermore even once version 1.0 will be released based in Sebastopol Popovics when you purchase a yearly upgrade of 99euros, all premium functionalities at the time of purchase will be available for lifetime without the need of paying 99euros every year. It is not a yearly but a one off payment.

photo

You dont have to pay the yearly fee!! As a beta tester (registered before v1) you have unlimited device license, contact zipato support so they fix it. And if you buy boxes after v1 you could buy device licenses as required and those are one time fee. 1 device per 9 credits, 20 devices per 59 credits, unlimited for 99 credits.

photo

I think even a yearly fee is OK for all inclusive - price should have been 50 euros instead of 99 - and then I think most would consider it fair -even if it is a yearly fee to keep your software upgraded and with support etc.

I think that the cloud dependency is a bigger problem. Zipato should make a separate physical add-on module with a small server holding basically the same software as the cloudsolution for the solution to run fully independant from Zipato´s cloudservers on a dedicated home ip. This is the only way to secure the network availability and security on which a fully extended homeautomation system will have to rely with doors opening, alarmsystems, electrical control etc. Volnurability increases as people are adding more and more devices and giving homeautomation more and more control. And a local system independant from internet/Zipato is in any case a more failsafe system.

- And really. From and R&D perspective it shouldn´t be that hard to accomplish. If it is loss of control Zipato fears, then just encrypt key operations on the server.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file