This object is in archive! 

Getting Cooper Dimmer and Aux Dimmer to work together

Ron Gerrans shared this question 8 years ago
Need Answer

So I'm just setting up my Zipato coming from Vera. I'm trying to setup a Cooper Dimmer with a Cooper Aux Dimmer. I couldn't get the two switches to Bind (I didn't see any binding options on the Binding tab). I did find the Association manager on the Aux dimmer but when I set the association and reopened the association manager the association wasn't there.

So instead tried to setup a rule to control them where I read the intensity value into a variable and used it to set the intensity of the opposite device (had to do a similar trick on Vera).

Now when I manually control the Aux dimmer the main dimmer follows suit (on/off and dim level) but when I manually control the main dimmer the Aux dimmer doesn't change it's settings to match.

Any suggestions on 1) how to get the native binding to work and/or two what I'm doing wrong with the rule creator would be appreciated.

Replies (2)

photo

For the native binding go to the root device settings and on the last tab you will find manage assotiation. In here you will see that how many groups does the device support and you should be able to add other devices by first selecting other group on the right (not the lifetime as it is only there for the main controller), and then dragging another device in from the left to the middle. Click in send and then on retrieve just to make sure it is stored.

I'm not sure if the grouping does work but you can try to group the two dimmers in the rule creator (devices section, groups...).

Let me know your findings.

photo

Thanks.

So, on the main dimmer the Manage Association is grayed out. I can get to it from the Aux dimmer and was able to add it to Group 1 (actually did that yesterday, though it didn't actually show up on screen until today which would explain why I'm getting instantaneous changes when controlling from the Aux). I know on my Vera I have to do the association on both devices to get them in sync. Any other way to force the main dimmer to allow me to group it to the Aux?

I did notice if I wait long enough after making a change to the Main dimmer, it will eventually show up on the Aux (time in minutes not seconds). This actually raises another question. The reason I went with Cooper switches is they and Lutron's are the only ones that can broadcast their status due to Lutron's patents It appears that the Zipato is polling them vs. them broadcasting to it?

Leave a Comment

Attach a file