This object is in archive! 

What devices can be connected to the RS232 module?

David Pritchard shared this question 8 years ago
Need Answer

What devices can be connected to the RS232 module? I was under the impression that you could connect all manner of devices, but reading some forum posts it sounds like it's much more limited.

Replies (13)

photo

can I connect HAI / Leviton rc2000 thermostat?

photo

yes this is very important thing to know we can use it for av systems

photo

http://www.cepro.com/article/zipatos_modular_home_automation_system_the_best_smart_home_platform/K14

“We are now adding a puzzle block for SEND RS232 MESSAGE in order to allow users to create rules that will send some generic message to some external device through the RS-232 port,” Popovic says.

That sounds like a generic RS-232 device... just saying :-)

photo

Interesting, when will this be functional, and to what extent?

photo

Seriesly when will they publicly announce things?

photo

It would really nice if I could connect any rs232 device.... don't know why zipato didn't release a solution which could be configured by normal users or experts.

In my use case:

I would like to connect my zipabox (with serial extension) to my air condition system (Zehnder ComfoAir 350). This device only support rs232 for their technicians, but someone had done a great work with reverse engineering to get all commands to control this device.

If someone is interested in this, go to (only in german language):

http://www.see-solutions.de/sonstiges/Protokollbeschreibung_ComfoAir.pdf

photo

I don't think a serial device with such limited functionality should even be on sale, to be honest. It's certainly not made clear that - currently - it's only useful for a tiny number of specific devices.

photo

It is not interesting if you think that such devices "should not be sold". RS232 is an old interface, but millions of devices using it. And of course not every device is a "new device". And "limited functionality" doesn't depend on an interface, it depends on the device.

The main point is: Zipato sells this extension. If they sell it, they have to support it.

photo

You've misunderstood my point. I have nothing against RS232. I'm saying that the RS232 module Zipato is selling is not useful, because it's only for a couple of specific applications, and they don't tell you that when you buy it. You're led to believe that you're buying a generic RS232 module - but you're not.

photo

Ok, I'm sorry :-)

photo

No problem.

photo

No comment from zipato?

photo

And still no comment....

Leave a Comment

Attach a file