This object is in archive! 

Using rules to configure devices.

Peter J shared this idea 11 years ago
Under Consideration

It would be nice to have the possibility to configure device using rules.

e.g. when you have a Aeon multisensor for detecting movement in the dark only (switch on light),

you can turn of PIR sensor in day time. Saves batteries.

Replies (10)

photo

Good idea, but I don't think you can save a lot.

If I remember correctly, I've measured a multisensor was consuming something like 7 microamps when idle. With 1000mAh lithium batteries, the thing would last 16 years. Even if I my dementia contributed by the factor 10, it's still more than a year and a half. I guess you're nowhere near that.

The problem is Z-Wave draining ~30mA when on, and they're doing good job keeping it off as long as possible.

photo

i do think you can save a lot.I've got my zipabox and multisensor for just 2 weeks max and it's battery is allready down to 72%...

photo

IMHO if you want to save energy, increase wake-up intervals rather than turn the PIR off. One second of Z-Wave radio communication takes as much energy as 1 hour of idle PIR.

Disclaimer: assuming that 7 microamps was correct number.

photo

what are the consequenses for the motion detection if the sensor is turned idle?

photo

None. Idle means doing nothing. You can't turn sensor idle. :)

BTW, I'm an idiot.

Yes, you can save battery by turning the PIR off, it won't be communicating over Z-Wave if there's motion. But increasing the intervals is still a good idea.

photo

To me it's not very clear what the settings for the multisensor exactly mean, can you please explain them to me?

what does 'timeout after no motion' do?

what does 'wakeup interval' mean?0r8sblz6VziVjvgeDGzB

photo

The saving part is indeed the activating (or not) of the Z-Wave transmitter when there is movement. Think of an alarm system with is disarmed the whole day and the sensors are still detecting movement, activating the Z-Wave transmitter and nothing is done with this information.

Either to change the interval time or turn PIR off for part of a day, would be nice to do it with a rule. :-)

photo

@Henk, Timeout after motion is the time period the sensor stays 'in motion' after the last motion is detected. After that period it is reporting 'no motion'. So in practice it does for a minimum of time period of 4 minutes nothing.

I do not know what the wakeup intervals means. I guess when noting happens, it comes to 'live' every 7 minutes.

photo

@ Peter, the setting isn't timeout after motion, it's timeout after no motion...

photo

My experince is that having the wake up interval set at 7 minutes on sensors is using too much battery. I do not have AEON multisensor. I have Fibaro motion sensors and Everspring door sensors. Manufacturers are claiming that batteries will last more than 2 years... but my experience is that new batteries can only last 3 months.

I changed the parameter to 1hour on sensors and it looks better.

I support you in your request to be in a position to change configuration within rules

Leave a Comment

Attach a file