This object is in archive! 

How to properly include a Z-wave device?

Erik S. shared this question 8 years ago
Answered

Hi,

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I'm not 100% sure if I understand how to properly include a Z-wave device.

From my understanding, the Z-wave device should be within 1 meter of the controller when adding/joining the device. This is because the device lowers the radio output to make sure the neighbour (or anyone else) can't "hijack" the device in this process.

So far, so good.

The problem arises when I want to actually move the device to it's permanent location. The z-wave protocol is based on a mesh network, and moving nodes after the inclusion process might result in incorrect mesh network. Because of this, the z-wave device should be added to the controller after it has been placed in it's permanent location.

These two rules (include near the box, and include at permanent location) is conflicting. The Zipabox is permanently mounted.

Aeotec has an usb stick to handle this, and Vera has battery backup and a physical button on the controller to add devices. This makes it possible to move the controller to the device, and start the inclusion process.

How is this properly done with Zipabox? Should I add the device next to the Zipabox, then move the device, the heal the z-wave network to rebuild the mesh routing table?

I'm not sure if this is a problem at all.. I might just be a bit confused ;)

Regards,

Erik

Best Answer
photo

Erik, you are right: add the device near to the box, move to the permanent location, then do a network heal to update the routing tables. If you add battery operated devices, set a low wakeup time when starting the network heal.

Replies (5)

photo

Erik, you are right: add the device near to the box, move to the permanent location, then do a network heal to update the routing tables. If you add battery operated devices, set a low wakeup time when starting the network heal.

photo

Ok, thanks! I'll try that. I have just been a bit afraid of pressing the heal button because I don't want to loose all of my Z-wave config ;)

photo

Erik,

try first if you can include the device from the point you want to use it. Most of my devices work this way. It is worth a try.

photo

Yeah, I'll try that. And if it doesnt work, I'll move it near the controller.

photo

You can try, but sometimes the end points of the device are not correct, or the controller is not receiving all the reports from the device when inclusion proces is starting.... In my situation more than 5 meters from the controller the signal is not stable enough

Leave a Comment

Attach a file