This object is in archive! 

How to use Zipato RGBW bulb with momentary switch?

Stian Indal Haugseth shared this question 7 years ago
Need Answer

I was hoping to replace a Aeotec RGB bull with Zipato as the Aeotec only has a ghastly cool white. I bought the Zipato bulb and it looks much better. But I can not find any config for using a momentary switch. I have added a spring to my bistable switch to work as momentary. I could remove the spring but that would negate the whole point with Z-wave.

Alternative would be to remove the switch and only use a z-wave paddle but I want to be able to physically control the light.

Replies (6)

photo

Sorry but let me get this right, you added a spring to a standard bistable switch? Won't this just turn the switch back off (disconnect power) again? This is not a true momentary switch. And a z-wave momentary (remote) switch, will send a command on a button push, it does not have to directly power an item, and it is this mesage that you can create a rule or trigger from

photo

Well yes. Thats the definition of bistable and momentary. Bistable is stable in both positions. Closed and open. Momentary is only stable in one position. Open or closed. In this case adding a spring which is a regular operation for these kind of physical "paddle" switches makes it a momentary one.

Using a momentary switch with Aeotec RGBW bulb works fine. It has constant power but when the power is cut for a short time when I click on the switch it registers this when it gets it power back. Thus it turns itself on and off every second power cut.

My wife has a demand that all lights must be physically controllable even if the z-wave network stops working. So I always use a flush dimmer behind a regular physical momentary switch.

All my momentary switches are the original 230VAC wall switches originally used in the house. With the added spring.

photo

I guess you have to explain more about your wiring behind the bulb first. In the first post you don't mention anything about a flush dimmer. I was confused the same as Adrian. You need the bulb energized in order to work.

I have a question for you, why do you have a Z-wave bulb conected to a dimmer? The bulb can dim by itself, looks like you need a flush relay instead of a dimmer. I have that set up at home and no need to add springs or whatever. You can do this two ways;

1. Bi-stable switch tied to I1 of Flush relay (direct actuation to Q1, no need of Z-wave to switch ON/OFF) and Zipato Bulb connected to Q1 of flush 1 relay. Only downside of this is that the bulb will not act as a repeater when the switch is OFF. Newer Zipato bulbs turn ON automatically when they receive VAC.

2. Bi-stable switch tied to I2, either add a "Basic Set ON/OFF" association between the relay and the bulb OR/AND create a rule on Zipato controller looking for I2. Bulb connected to Q1 so the power is tied to the relay itself (I1, which can be wired or not) and always on, this way the bulb will be always used as repeater for other Zwave devices.

All my switches are bi-stable (as any regular house), you can configure the inputs on Qubino flush relays or flush dimmers to be used as Bi-stable or mono-stable.

photo

Adding a flush relay just to control a RGB bulb makes it quite an expensive solution.

photo

Adding a flush relay just to control a RGB bulb makes it quite an expensive solution.

photo

Adding a flush relay just to control a RGB bulb makes it quite an expensive solution. Maybe I could use a Fibaro RGBW controller and 4 momentary switches to dim all channels in the bulb separately?

photo

Fibaro RGBW - $69.99 USD, plus whatever you invest in your switches.

Qubino Flush Relay 1 - $59.99 USD and you can use your existing switch since it can be configured to monostable / bistable switch.

You need the bulb in both cases anyway.

photo
photo

Sorry but I did not mean I use both a dimmer and the bulb. I was just stating how I use dimmers in general.

I was just trying to explain that the Aeotec bulb can be controlled by a momentary switch wired in normally closed position. So the bulb always has power except when I push the switch it momentarily looses power. So every second time it looses power a very short time it cycles between on and off.

I am wondering if this is possible with Zipato RGBW bulb? I'm afraid I do not think it is because I would probably find something if it was. Without this functionality the bulb is not a direct replacement for any existing fixed ceiling lamp in my case.

photo

Yes what you are trying to achieve is what can be set in the parameter of modules like fibaro. Not the Zipato modules or bulb. It is a power failure state parameter. I understand now why Aeotec have this feature and why you have set your switch like this, very good idea. I can not find anyway to set the Zipato bulb for this type of activation or deactivation though, sorry.

photo

I cannot find that option either. I have two Zipato RGBW bulbs and both react different to power failure, I guess it's a difference in the firmware, the first one I got does not turn ON after power has been disconnecte and connected back. Newest do turn ON, so if you have a new one you could connect it to a bistable switch and would work as a regular bulb, without the ability of being used as a Z-wave repeater.

photo

mine just go to the last value before power failure. strange.

photo

Exactly, without this function the bulbs are actually useless in a real world environment where people use the existing wall switches and expect the bulb to switch on no matter what setting someone made from the z-wave controller.

I also have Aoetec bulbs and they work like a charm, my Zipato bulb2 bulbs however are a disappointment until now unless there is a setting which can make it switch on manually even if a z-wave controller switched it off.

Do the Zipato supporters not read these threads and make comments ?

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file