This object is in archive! 

Max number of devices connected to a single box?

Abdalrahman Hassanine shared this question 7 years ago
Answered

Hi everyone,

Is there a limit for the number of z-wave devices connected to a single box? or the number of devices connected to any extention module?

Thanks,

Replies (1)

photo

Greetings,

The maximum number of Z-Wave devices in a single Z-Wave network is 233.

photo

what about the other protocols (zigbee, knx ... etc) ?

KNX module for example is able control up to 250 devices, can I add 233 zwave devices + 250 knx devics to the same controller?

I know this is a rare case but I need to know the limit

thanks for your reply,

photo

You are suppossed to be able to do that, the 233 limitation is per Z-wave protocol, each network protocol has their own. In theory zipabox can support all of them as long as you have the unlimited devices licence, of course in real life it has to be a limit, how many? only zipato can answer and I bet is based on device's memory capabilities.

photo

ive had up to 90 physical z-wave, zigbee, nest, and sonos devices connected at one stage, and about dozen virtual devices. Zipabox got slow and restarted alot, but that could have been due to many reasons. I had half included devices, devices not fully supported, and rules that were disabled and not functioning.

I would stick to under 100 for z-wave/zigbee/433 combined. If you go above it is a small cost to include another zipabox and cluster them.

photo

I think Adrian is correct. There are not a lot of controllers out there that have a hardware that can manage large networks. For example, if you go and check out the comfortclick controllers, you can see there is a reason why they have 3 different types with 3 different hardware. For any large network for one controller I would consider a strong NAS (QNAP) with a zwave software via USB stick. Or alternatively many controllers in cluster as Adrian suggested.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file