Virtual weather station not updating

Tobias shared this problem 7 years ago
Known

Since login to ticket-system is not possible right now, I report this issue here.

Virtual weather station does not update since jan. 28.

Replies (12)

photo

I am located in Germany. My virtual weather station is updated.

photo

You should test different stations and fine the one that is most reliable.

photo

I have the same problem. It has not been updated since 11th of January at my box. I have reported this to zipato a while ago, and they said "they are working on it..."

photo

Add more stations and monitor for a couple of days (or week) which one is the most reliable. Dont forget that when you access zipato via web and have it open for a couple of hours, the weather station will not dynamically update. You will need to refresh the browser to see anything new.

I have created a simple rule (that is now disabled as my weather updates regularly) with hourly recurrence that asks on API level to refresh the weather station. Tested and it works.

the HTTPS call is:

https://my.zipato.com:443/zipato-web/v2/meteo/attributes/values?update=true

36d977f2ce52fe3661b82df047f40e42

photo

Hi Attila,

I keep having regular issues due to sunrise/sunset missed by my box. I have just implemented your proposal and will give it a try. Definitely interested! (until we got something reliable from zipabox...)

Thanks

Matthieu

photo

for sunset/sunrise you need to use a sensor. This sensor should be triggered also by the wirtual weather station and also by a scheduler on a daily basis in order to minimize the possible unrealiability of internet services...every morning and evening it will trigger (check when is the earliest morning and latest evening (probably in the summer) in your area.

photo
photo

I have the same problem, i have had the same station for 2 years and since 31/1 its not working any more.

photo

Same fault, 2 years and it stopped working. The biggest issue is that the rules are not running at all. I solved it by add a another weather location and removed the old one.

photo

/* Please activate Speculation and nonsense filter */

I don't know if this is a ZipaBug or a problem with https://www.wunderground.com/ which (afaik) is the service they use for weather station updates. I am not sure how the implementation is in Zipastuff, but I am afraid that the system is "simple" in that when you enter a city/town/place, it searches for whatever is available in the Weather Underground service with similar names. Looking at the website, it appears that this refers to whatever names private owners of online weather stations may have entered, and that this is coupled with some external forecast service. If for some reason 1) they have problems getting updates from the private weather station, the forecast is also not updated, and 2) if they have problems with their servers, Zipato weather stuff is also affected.

May I humbly suggest that Zipato change to http://YR.NO (free worldwide by Norwegian public weather service, with a great and simple API.), possibly also optionally connected to Netatmo's servers or one's private Netatmo gadget.

http://www.yr.no/place/Croatia/Grad_Zagreb/Zagreb/

photo

I just registered at wunderground.com, have created a weather station there, at my home, and have asked them to integrate with my Netatmo at the same location (as per their description). It'll be interesting to see if I will be able to use that weather station in Zipabox/Zipatile. Will keep u all updated.

photo

Same error. API returns correct values, but not the virtual weather,

a6fd4344eeed264d2705f9782cd4be56

https://my.zipato.com/zipato-web/v2/meteo/weather?location=FREDRIKSTAD shows updated information

URL in this post shows old information2ee12e7b643a456d20ff91b6bda08ef7

Anyone?

photo

i have that problem as well - did zipato stop paying for some api or similar?

photo

Here is all good...

photo

Hello,

let me explain in short, also you will most likely need to create a new weather station for it to work again.

Reason...

Zipato platform is using the weather underground API for fetching the weather data and unfortunately that API has flaws and/or limitations.

Wunderground based their weather reports on a system of Personal Weather Stations or PWS which means that any user with a sensory device can send his temperature, humidity, and other reports to wunderground.

That all in theory sounds nice, and many people are doing so, however - users which relay on reliability of that data, such as us, are having a hard time dealing with it. To understand what I mean by that, here is an example.

When I first register my Zipatile, I try to find the closest possible weather station for getting the most accurate data on the outside conditions. That usually means I will most likely use someones PWS due to its proximity.

Everything goes well for a first week or even a month while that user keeps broadcasting the data to wunderground API. However, the user suddenly decides to turn the weather station off and stops sending data to wunderground.

Wunderground probes the users station a couple of times to make sure its really offline permanently and not just temporarily, so the weather station still keeps the obsolete data. After a while, the wunderground figures the station is dead a moves on to the closest live one to get the fresh data. In the meantime, Zipato polls wunderground API to get refreshed data and doesn't receive anything. After 3 unsuccessful tries we are forced to disable that weather station in our database and stop polling it because if we kept on polling it we might get flagged as a DoS attempt from wunderground and then ALL the weather stations will become unreachable for at least 24 hours or so. To prevent that from happening, we disable the weather station which is not sending any data - and thus the problem you see in the web UI, the "non updating" virtual weather station. I can enable your virtual station again and it will work, for a week, month, maybe even two - but I cannot guarantee its reliability. What I would suggest to you, is the same thing I suggest to other users with this problem. Try using the closest major weather station which is most likely to have a professional weather station reporting the data, and thus will be reliable.

We are very aware of this situation, and we are working on a permanent solution for weather stations - which means we would might need to change the weather API.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file