This object is in archive! 

Fibaro Dimmer and Dimmer 2 inconsitencies and binding problems

Sam Luxford-Watts shared this problem 6 years ago
Known

Hi,

I have three fibaro Dimmers of different versions and each behaves very differently with the Zipabox - so much so that the only one of the three that actally works 100% is a FGD211 with FW Version 1.9 - this is the only one that has the correct configuration options AND allows me to bind successfuly with other devices.

My setup is this:

All three devices are in one bedroom:

• one FGD211 (FW 1.6) that controls the main lights in the room (sw1) and sw2 i want to configure to switch on/off both the bedside lights
  • Two bedside lights - one controlled by a FGD212 (FW 3.4) and one by a FGD211 (FW 1.9) each with their SW2 set to control (dimming and on/off) the main Lights

Through the use of bindings I have successfully got this working between the two FGD211's however the one with version 1.9 didnt work until the third attempt for some strange reason and also the confiuration tab on the one with FW 1.6 has no options at all whereas the one on FW version 1.9 has a complete list which is odd but ot the reasone for this post......

The bigger problem for me is that the FGD212 has NO bindings that I can see to use other than the ones associated with the meters. There is a child device called "Button 2, Assoc. Group3 Device Control" that has a bindings tab but its non-functional (it doesnt allow you to bind anything! as no devices are listed!).

Lastly if I use the Associations manager I can see that the two FDG211's have associations configured correctly but if I add an identical one on the FDG212 via the association manager gui it applies but does nothing at all.

HELP! also I can sort of understand the Dimmer 2 issue as it's relatively new but I cant believe the difference the FW version of the old FDG211's has on the options that are presented - I would upgrade but again - this functionality is missing in the Zipabox despite being talked about over a year ago - Help! I have two three more to get up and running in a second bedroom...

Thanks,

Sam

P.S. Sorry - I posted this in the "Thanks" category by mistake - not obvious for newbies that one!

Best Answer
photo

Greetings,

If you want to make direct associations between your FGD211 and FGD212 dimmers then we suggest you use the Associations manager. But you should make sure that FGD212 is included without encryption.

FGD211 does not use encryption, FGD212 does. So just disable secure inclusion, rejoin your FGD212 and then try to make associations.

Replies (1)

photo

Ok - update time:

After contacting Zipato support I am no better off: They simply sent me instructions showing how to bind devices and didnt recognise that the tab is broken as reported. They also said that the FDG-211 with FW 1.6 is not a supported device - not a very impressive response given that the packaging for both FDG-211's is identical and there is no way of checking device compatibility as Zipato dont publish a list of supported devices, oh and there is no way to upgrade firmware on devices as that feature has not been released either!

I'd have to say that the apparent level of testing/documentation/ and quality of support I have seen from ZIpato so far is underwhelming to say the least. Come on ZIpato - this is basic stuff - sort it out!

Sam

photo

Greetings,

If you want to make direct associations between your FGD211 and FGD212 dimmers then we suggest you use the Associations manager. But you should make sure that FGD212 is included without encryption.

FGD211 does not use encryption, FGD212 does. So just disable secure inclusion, rejoin your FGD212 and then try to make associations.

photo

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I have been away for a few days.

Anyway - I tried your suggestion and it worked! I can now control the main lights from either of the bedside dimmers and similarly I can now control both the bedside lights from the main dimmer using the 2nd button on each.

Seems obvious now but I had completely overlooked the secure inclusion option!

One last point - the config pages are still different between all three devices and the sub-devices on the FDG-212 appear to be broken a little but it doesnt seem to affect what I need.

Oh - and lastly - when associating two devices I had trouble briefly - in association manager I had two devices listed but one was obviously the old reference to the dimmer2 before I excluded and re-included . I thought I could just delete it and add the new one in but that didnt work - it would only remember the last device added. To get both I had to first delete both devices - send association. retrieve to ensure both had been removed, then add both together and send association again.

Anyway - problem now solved! Thanks (1 point to the forums and 0 points to zipato support who still have me going round in circles)

Cheers,

Sam

photo

Hello Sam,

I am having some issues with the fibaro 212 dimmer. I cannot see the association groups except number 3 like u did.

Did u manage to solve the problem and use the 212 S2 switch with your box?

photo

Hi,

Yes I got it configured correctly using the "Manage Associations" for the parent device. on the associations manager screen - in the right hand side panel you should see root device, expand it out and then you should see groups 1-3 for the older dimmers and for the newer Dimmer 2 (212) you'll see Group 1-5 listed under the root device. I configured associations for Group 4 and 5 to the same device (Main Bedroom Lights). See screenshot attached. Don't be tempted to use the bindings - option. I cleared all that out and just used the associations manager.

Hope this helps.

Sam

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file