This object is in archive! 

Zipatile restarting once a day at random

Ivo shared this problem 6 years ago
Known

I made a rule to check when my Zipatile is rebooted as some of my rules using variables where not working correctly.

To my suprise I found out my Zipatile reboots quite often, about once a day and at random intervals. I've update to the latest Android and Zipato files to no avail.

Anyone having a solution for this problem? It is very annoying as all my variables and some statuses are reset during a reboot.

Cheers,

Ivo

Replies (8)

photo

My zipatile also does reboot plenty of times, and whenever I see that happen I go to android update which always said that it was just updated. I don't know what was updated. Still I would like user settings to select when we want the update to take place, if at all we want the updates.

BTW, I did not find any sensor in the rule creator which I can trigger on a reboot, can you share your rule ? - thanks

photo

Remove teamviewer. Do you have other apps manually installed that are not in app repo? Skype is also one of them to be removed.

photo

@ Attila: Plain Zipato configuration, no extra apps nor changes. (I run all my extras on a RPi)

@ Vineet: Make a new variable and call it rebootsensor or something like that.

Now make a rule that gets triggered every 5 minutes or so and check if the variable is a certain value, I choose 4711. If the value is different (use !=) to 4711 then set the variable to 4711 and send yourself a mail or another warning. Also you can now preset certain variables to defaults.

This rule will run once to set the variable at 4711 and thereafter only run after a reboot as the variable will be reset and be different from 4711.

photo

Also "Auto Updates" is disabled.

photo

I also have the same problem, but with the zipabox. It was stable for 8-9 months and for the latest 3 months it restarts almost every day, very annoying.

photo

Good to know the problem also occurs with the box, not the tile only. I also had no problems like this a few months ago, it started right after an FW update but I can't exactly remember when or what version it started.

photo

My Zipabox also has this problem from time to time. I open a ticket, and support usually does something (no idea what!) that seems to cure it, at least for a while. Sometimes it seems to be related to making rule changes, but there's no clear pattern. My suspicion, but it's only a suspicion, is that it might be due to a memory leak somewhere in the firmware. I have tons of rules running very frequently, so even the tiniest memory leak will eventually cause the box to restart. But, that said, sometimes it runs for a long time without reboots.

photo

I try to reboot it from time to time myself if it's been stable for a long time, so that the uncontrolled reboots can be avoided. I've raised the idea with support of having a Reboot command in the rule creator, and they agree that this would be a good idea.

photo

That is only a workaround. I'm working as a developer and do a reboot because of a "memory leak?" is not a good strategy. This behaviour cause my rules to not work properly, Every restart will reset the variables.

I good idea from Zipato should be that more technical user should be able to read log files etc.

I'm consider to replace my box with another brand.

photo

Yes, unfortunately workarounds is what we have. I have long since worked the assumption into my rules that the system will restart frequently, so I recalculate everything on short cycles from raw sensor or weather data. That way, the system recovers fairly quickly after a restart.

I've bought a TP-Link socket which I plan to plug the Zipabox into. If I'm right, the Zipabox should be able to send a command to the socket to reboot itself, thus also rebooting the Zipabox. I plan to use this to do controlled reboots.

We're a long way from having a 24/7 stable system, alas. I don't know whether other brands perform any better.

photo
photo

I took a look at my e-mails. My Zipabox sends an email every time it restarts. And its even worse, the most stable months was between 2016-09-23 and 2016-11-09, no restart.

photo

I have the same problem since last week, it's restarts random sveral times a day. the firmware is 1.3.5.c

photo

Do you have the option "keep offline"checked (settings)? I used to have quite more often reboots until I checked this option and synced.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file