This object is in archive! 

Use 3G or LTE USB Dongle as Zipatile backup network connection

Olivier Blain shared this question 6 years ago
Need Answer

Is it possible to hook up a 3G or LTE USB Stick to Zipatile USB port and use it as backup network connection when the primary Wifi connection to internet fails?

thanks

Olivier

Replies (5)

photo

Is this something possible ?

thanks

photo

Why on earth has this not been answered by Zipato staff?

photo

Probably not. Any reason you dont use the USB in your router?

What would be good would be the SD card slot be able to be used as a sim card slot also that operates as a backup 3/4G connection. Similar to the Zipabox backup battery function.

photo

I hope your pb has been resolved. I use a zipatile on a boat with à 4G wireless dongle without any problem. I try wifi and lan without difference.

photo

Hi duchesne. Is the dongle connected to de Zipatile USB port in any way? Or it connects a router, and from there you take internet qirelessly on your zipatile?

Thanks.

photo

Excuse me for the delay. I use it with a Huawei modem on the USB port permanently.

photo

Thanks for your response Duchesne... you mean pluged on the USB port from your Zipatile? It gets power from there, or it transfer data through USB beside of wirelessly? Sorry if my questions are tooooooooo dummie's... hehe

photo

You can do both depending on your dongle: If you can program the option for going through the C-USB it will get the wright way. For me, I have tried every solution. Actually, I use the dongle with the WIFI : The connection with the 4G Broadcom is more efficient with the dongle at the best place on the boat and it is not near the tablet.

Regards,

FDLM

photo
photo

Did anyone tried to use a router modem ethernet with sim card so you can still reach Zipatile with 3G connection in case ethernet brakes?

photo

Yes I do on a boat without any pb . 4G ....

photo

Great news ! That means i have no more reason to go to Zipabox instead Zipatile ! (except battery may be...do you have an extern solution to increase the back up battery on Zipatile?)

Can you tell which routeur 4G are you using ? Is it possible to put this routeur between a modem ethernet and Zipatile using LAN primary and to use the 4G from routeur only if LAN brakes down ?

photo

I use a Huawei B715 (DNA Kotimokkula Premium 4G+ WLAN) 4G+/LTE-A Modem & Dual Band AC1300 WiFi and 4-port Router, 2 x SMA female connectors for external antennas which can be set for a lot of mobile networks in the world. You have all in one with one USB port 3.0, 4 Gigabytes RJ45, and both 2,4 and 5 Ghz Wifi network. For the power of both Zipatile and the routeur 4G I use an inverter to be sure to stay connected even loss of shore power or if somebody try to disconnect the power (robbery). That solution is quite : my zipatile stay online since the last update....for 3 months ....But stay in mind that the zipatile can only work with ZWave and Zigbee protocoles today. wait for the new Zipatile 2 to extend the possibilities.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file