This object is in archive! 

Control color of multiple RGBW bulbs

Jeroen Groeneweg shared this question 5 years ago
Need Answer

Hi, I recently bought 3 Zipato RGBW bulbs and they are working great.

However, if I want to control the color in my living room I have to set every bulb individual. This is cumbersome and hard to get the exact same color for each light.

I would love to have all the bulbs synchronize to each-other and take the same color, intensity and state. I tried this with a rule and the setRGBW option but I can only define a hard HEX color there. Also with a virtual switch I had no luck.

Is there a way to pair these devices and make them act like one? Also is it possible to controll them with voice through IFTTT?

Best Answer
photo

Ok, so I tried a lot of other ways to get this to work and eventually I found a solution that I'm content with. It's not perfect but it does what I wanted and I'm now able to control one RGB bulb and make the others follow using a rule.

c44d5ebf6424c373df186aa49d5b1ee9

Now, when I change the Living Room Lounge RGBW intensity or color it will update all the other bulbs in the group as well. Problem was I needed to set the RGB values separately otherwise it wouldn't work. Weird that you can't use set RGBW for this.

Now all I need to do is find a decent way to pass color names through IFTTT to make it work using voice.

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Jeroen.

Have you tested to create a group of your lamps and controlling that group?

You click the + symbol under groups here:

/486e955fa0f34beb9d4625bf1815b183

I tested to create one now and I named it "RGBW Lights" and selected ONLY RGBW lights.

Then as an Action in the rule creator use that group and set for example RGB:

/60bd37de0844edcddaba44ba474e6d2c

And select a color you like for all bulbs together:

/4ab2fb0a4f39af1b3b73f10de18885ee

Off course you can trigger intensity or othet values if you prefer.

And about voice commands from IFTTT this is easy if you already did that Virtual switch.

You simply create a web request trigger thru the "Webhooks" applet (use to be named Maker) from your IFTTT. As voice commend service you can use most of the famous brands.

Hope I could help! Please let us know if it works for you!

// Henning :)

photo

Forgot the link to the great IFTTT / Google Assistant guide by Adrian:

https://community.zipato.com/topic/for-those-who-wish-a-tutorial-on-ifttt-setup-or-google-assistant-via-ifttt

photo

Hi Henning,

Thank you very much for your very detailed reaction! I really appreciate it!

I already have my lights grouped as you described. Setting a color through the rules this way is working however I can only set a hard HEX color value for example ff0000. But what I would really want is when I change one of the RGB lights to a certain value, lets say to blue, all the other RGB lights turn blue as well. This part I can't seem to figure out.

About the voice integration, I already have IFTTT working through a webhook and the API endpoint as you described, although it only works with Integers not Strings. I would love to pass a HEX color code through IFTTT and catch it in the endpoint of my Zipato.

For example when I say: Hey Google "Set livingroom color to $" where $ is a string variable and mapped to a virtual meter in Zipato. However $ an only contain a number so this won't work either :(

Long story short. I can't get my RGBW lights to match each others colors, not through Zipato rules, groups and settings nor through IFTTT.

Really interested in how others solved this.

photo

Ok, so I tried a lot of other ways to get this to work and eventually I found a solution that I'm content with. It's not perfect but it does what I wanted and I'm now able to control one RGB bulb and make the others follow using a rule.

c44d5ebf6424c373df186aa49d5b1ee9

Now, when I change the Living Room Lounge RGBW intensity or color it will update all the other bulbs in the group as well. Problem was I needed to set the RGB values separately otherwise it wouldn't work. Weird that you can't use set RGBW for this.

Now all I need to do is find a decent way to pass color names through IFTTT to make it work using voice.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file