This object is in archive! 

Going Open Source

Benny Blomkål shared this idea 9 years ago
Under Consideration

Dear Zipato team,

Just thinking out loud... Have you considered making your software, or parts of it, Open Source?

I'm pretty certain you would get loads of help from interested "nerds" (like me), and perhaps it could ease some of the burden on your own backs.

I realize that there are a multitude of reasons for not wanting to do this, but I hope you will consider it. For example, if you could allow device support to be some sort of "pluggable" modules which may or may not be programmed by third parties, interested and educated users could provide support for hardware which you yourselves do not have the time or resources to complete. Users could decide for themselves whether to use third party "plugins" (voiding all their future support requests, of course ;-) or to stick with official releases.

If you were succesful in a move like this, the result could be just amazing!

Best Answer
photo

Hi Benny, this is exactly what we are working on:-)

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Benny, this is exactly what we are working on:-)

photo

Thats really great news! :D

So happy to hear this!

photo

Excellent! =)

Looking forward to learn more about it. Hope it turns out well!

photo

Just to make it clear. We don't have a plan to go fully "open source". We will create an SDK in order to allow integration of third party's protocols. There will be also, few more options for developers to engage...

photo

Great!

Leave a Comment

Attach a file