This object is in archive! 

Zipabox & KNX >> Is zipabox worth the investment?

Alberto Macias shared this question 8 years ago
Need Answer

Hello all,

I'm new to zipato and zipabox, I have seen a lot of videos and products using z-wave technology. The main reason for which I'm looking to buy a zipabox is because I already have some automation with KNX at home, and zipabox is currently the only processor (at least that I could find) that can bridge KNX and Z-wave devices, so I'm wondering if anyone here has the same case as me, if you guys have experience integrating KNX and z-wave devices and how the experience has been.

Also i have read many topics from which I have some doubts that i hope you guys can clarify;

1. Is the Zipabox useful without internet access to control devices? I see many complaints of box not working when zipato servers are down, or when the internet conection is unstable, which take me to this question.

2. I see also complaints about premium services, do you guys know which are the premium services and how much they cost? how useful is a zipabox without premium services?

3. What has been your overall experience integrating Fibaro devices to Zipato?

4. For which services the zipato credits are required? How expensive they are?

I will appreciate your honest feedback since I'm close to order my zipabox.

Replies (11)

photo

Is someone from Zipato planning to answer my questions? it's being here over one month...

photo

Hi,

1)

Yes it is.If its offline, rules are running without internet. (if the rules dont have andy http requests)

2)

Have a look in my blog...its german...but i you can see it there

3)

Fibaro Devices are supported

4)

Look at 2) ;-)

regards Helle

photo

Thank you DerHelle, had to use google translate but helpful. Looks like Zipato has a lot to work on still, but the system is improving. Will be checking your blog... Take care.

photo

Thanks....yes its getting better every day....great Support and improvement you can see every week!

Welcome to the Zipabox Community!

regards Helle

photo

Has anybody had a sucessfull integration of KNX into the Zipabox? I would be interested to hear how it goes, what products are supported, and the ease of adding devices.

photo

Hi Adrian,

yes i have customers running big KNX Enviroments with the Zipabox.

regards Helle

photo

DerHelle,

I just started to install my devices at home and playing with the Zipabox, sadly my first rule didn't work without internet connection. I created a motion activated light that only works when the zipabox is connected to the internet. I'm using Fibaro Motion sensor and Zipato RGBW bulb, maybe I'm doing something wrong...

photo

Hi,

to create Rules you have to be connected to the internet.

Helle

photo

I was online while creating the rule and succesfully synced with the controller. I actually even tried it and all good but, If I unplug the ethernet cable after that, rule doesn't work anymore...

photo
photo

Can you make a screenshot of the Rule?

photo

Sure DerHelle, I really appreciate your help.

photo
photo

rule looks ok. Does the RGBW bulb have constant power?

I have had the experience that sometimes a rule takes a while, half hour, to activate and start working properly. This could be due to having to having to wait for a sensor to wake up to configure though.

photo

Adrian,

Yes it does. Weird thing is that the rule works as long as the controller is connected to the internet (green light solid).

Thanks for your help, I think I will have to submit a ticket to zipato support.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file