This object is in archive! 

Where is irrigation functionality?

Carlo shared this question 8 years ago
Answered

Hi, in various part of the website (here, here and here) is stated that zipabox can handle irrigation (with unlimited zones, etc. etc.) but I can't find how to do it without using a custom rule with a bunch of ON->wait->OFF for each valve.

Using such a rule is the opposite of a truly flexible system because I've to statically define sprinkler's sequence, wait time and manually implement weather check.

I'm expecting to have a simple virtual device (a mix between alarm and thermostat) to manage both schedules, zones and triggers: am I wrong?

Replies (7)

photo

So no irrigation functionality exists?

photo

Yes me to

photo

After a month still no answer from zipato team...

photo

Hi Carlo,

Zipabox is designed to be used in very broad set of scenarios and even be too flexible which means that any kind off automated "program" configuration can limit your imagination and decrease flexibility. For example you would want to change irrigation time in dependence of outside temperature, if it rained maybe you would rather use rain water instead of tap water or depending on soil moisture and temperature you would just want to use drop-by-drop irrigation instead of sprinklers. Downside of all that for users with limited time is that they can't configure the system to their liking in short amount of time they have.

But good comparison to what you get with Zipabox is Windows and Linux OS. Zipabox is like Linux meaning it is maybe harder to setup but it has good robustness when you do set it up and then it will do the same thing indefinitely while using least amount of energy, your additional time and all that comes in compact package.

Hope this sets your mind to what Zipabox is and what can it do. Please don't hesitate to use Zipato community for any additional questions or solutions that will help you take good care of your garden.

Best regards,

Zipato Team

photo

Hi Vedran,

I'm not sure that a program may limit imagination or functionality.

The same thing you are saying is true for alarm and thermostat and a default application exists. Of crouse if you want to make some great customization you can work with rules but for standard beaahvior they work fine (and exists also "pro" version that promise advanced functions ...)

Creating a set of rule that handle 6 irrigation lines and start irrigation, stop (or delay it) it if rain, change timing based on temperature is very complex and not easy to achieve with just rule editor.

And what if someone want to water twice a day? Everithing must be duplicated (and debugged ...)?

A basic irrigation functionality where a user can add zones, plan start and duration for each one like planning temperature on thermostat and stop or delay programs based on rain sensor is what everyone expects when"irrigation functionality" is advertised.

From my point of view this is a lack of an advertised functionality.

photo

I am personally using the irrigation system with 5 valves, which are irrigating 4 times per night and they take into consideration the current weather situation, as well as 1 day weather forecast.

This is done by two very simple rules within our heavily advertised rule creator, so there is no any lack of advertised functionality over here.

photo

Hi Sebastian,

maybe I'm seeing the problem more complex than it really is.

Could you share your rules with the community (or post it in a knowledge base post)?

photo

photo

Could you share your rules with the community

photo

Hi Sebastian, I've just received 3 updates email for this post where you publish the rule but I can't see any update in this discussio...

photo

yes, it seems there is some problem with the attachment. I will send it to you on email...

photo

Sebastian pleas share it on the community...

photo

Sebastian, please share rule you've created for your irrigation system. Thanks!

photo

Sebastian,

Could I please also ask you to share your rule with me please?

photo
photo

I also try to play around with such rules.

But I have a different approach to this as I don´t want that irrigation is running, when it do not really have to. (saving water)

For my purpose I use 2 different rules. One check the weather situation and the other one the irrigation in dependence of time and the weather situation.

I could not test it by now because my irrigation system is not completed by now but I think it could work like this.

Have a look at my approach and maybe give me feedback if that could be a cool system or if you see any problems.

photo

deleted

Leave a Comment

Attach a file