This object is in archive! 

How to partially close Somfy blinds

David Pritchard shared this idea 8 years ago
Under Consideration

Like many people, I've had problems partially closing or opening Somfy blinds. 0% and 100% work OK, but trying to set the blinds to, say, 60%, doesn't produce consistent results, no matter how you fiddle with the number of seconds in the device configuration.

I think the problem is that the Zipabox doesn't necessarily know where the blinds are at any given time (but it thinks it does). If its initial reference point is wrong, it will apply the wrong number of seconds of movement.

I've found a laborious but seemingly effective way to guarantee that the blinds always end up in the same spot for any given value:

- Set the blinds to 100

- Set the blinds to 0

- Set the blinds to the value you want

I insert a waiting time of 50 seconds (an arbitrary number) between each step to avoid the blinds getting overloaded by too many commands in quick succession. I don't know whether it's strictly necessary. I tried just setting the blinds to 0, and then the value, but that doesn't work either. It seems you need the 2 previous steps to guarantee that the Zipabox's assumed position and the blinds' real position are synchronised.

See attachment.

Replies (7)

photo

I had to re add the somfy device with the new firmware and then, in the configuration of the device give the time to roll up (20 seconds for mine) and down (18 seconds for mine), and it works with the % (bottom is set to 5 seconds, top 0 seconds for my roller) so when it goes up it count 5 seconds and 20 seconds to go to the top.

If I want 50% it takes 5 seconds + 10 seconds more.

It works now also with the chacon roller devices.

photo

Hi Jacques. I'm not sure I follow you. Where did you configure the 5 seconds?

photo

83cccf8e6cdad377a984d6508ad4b29812237746c6522a5e47d8f3fa55c4cabd

I have added 10 seconds to close completely after going to the bottom

photo

If you never use the remote (or just up or down 100%) this will work, major a or minor te seconds to adjust 50 % in the middle of the window.

photo
photo

Hi Dave. You are right, the zipabox does not necessarily know where the Somfy RTS blinds are. This is because they do not communicate their status to a controller, they are one way communication. A z-wave motor module has two way communication. It relys solely on the timing, so when you close a blind fully or open it fully it can reset its values. I have not had any problems with my blinds yet. And yes, you can not change the position of a blind while it is already opening or closing. I think Jacques configuration is good to be sure the blind has fully closed and thus reset its value to 0.

photo

The problem is that, since, as you say, the Zipabox has no way to interrogate the blinds about their position, its stored value may be unreliable. I have a remote control which I use to operate the blinds and obviously the Zipabox cannot know anything about it. Also, although the method I've outlined works in the sense that you can get a consistent position for a given value, I've not found a way to make the values match the expected position (i.e., 33% doesn't close the blinds by one third, instead it might close them by half). Instead, I have to find out the value that I need for the required position by trial and error. This means that, even if the Zipabox has the last position stored correctly, it won't be able to adjust correctly from there to a new position. You always have to reset to 0 to get a reliable result.

I must say, though, fully opening and closing I've never found to be a problem. That's the one thing that it has always done reliably, and I've never used the offset values.

I don't fully close my living room blinds because I don't want to leave the cats in the dark :-) Hence my problem.

photo

I think it is strange that the zipato can not send the "my" command to the blinds and not use the already programmed top and bottom end points also programmed thru the somfy remote ?

why do we have to add seconds when not needed the rfxcom can do this.

photo

Hi,

Instead of position command in % would be possible to simply send commands like up, down, stop, rotate venitian blinds + - ?

thanks !

Leave a Comment

Attach a file