This object is in archive! 

Free upgrade to PRO for existing users

Wouter Huijs shared this question 8 years ago
Need Answer

Just for clarification as I cannot find a coherent answer. Seems like you will either be a SMART user or a PRO user (https://www.zipato.com/how-it-works/features/).

What do I need to pay as an existing user? The 100USD or do we get a FREE upgrade?

If FREE upgrade, will that upgrade be valid for one year, multiple years or always?

Dear Zipato, please clarify.

Replies (16)

photo

photo

Hello Wouter,

As it was previously written on announcement, https://community.zipato.com/announcement/services

EXISTING USERS (having the controller registered before the official release v.1.0) Considering the fact that many of our existing customers were helping us with their feedback during the development of Zipato system, all currently available options/applications will continue to be available for all of our existing users (users which have their controller registered before the official v.1.0 release).

As for the PRO licence, you certainly don't have to pay it to use hardware which you have bought. You can use your hardware forever without paying anything. Also, your hardware will be constantly updated from our side free of charge. Buying upgrade is just an option available for users when we will have something new to sell. Instead of buying the new hardware, you can just buy the upgrade and use is on the same one which you already have. But you don't have to do neither of those if you don't want. You can just setup your system and use it like this, and as you could see so far.

photo

This is still confusing. v1.0 has not been released yet, but certain "PRO" features (like variables in e-mail) are unavailable to us unless we pay additional money to upgrade.

photo

Thats true Vernon. I have the same.

photo

Same issue!

photo

Some features have always been paid features and they still are paid features like Messaging Pro for example. Messaging Pro is now a part of PRO licence.

photo

Hi Antonio,

Thank you for the reply and with it, the clarification. Respectfully, in my opinion the costs running the Zipato as the center hub of my home automation do not outweigh the given features anymore, especially when comparing the functionality with the ones on the market today. I am the first to admit you build an amazing product opening domotica up for mainstream use, and although I will switch to a different system, I do hope you will consider another pricing strategy for your current client base and continue to grow. Thanks.

photo

Antonio,

It is still confusing. This is the scenario I am unsure of:

1) I buy the Zipabox with a pre 1.0 firmware for $199

2) I don't get variables in my messages

3) I buy the "pro" license for an additional $99/year

4) This gives me the variables in my messages

Where I am confused is that the end of the year, if I do not renew the "pro" license, do I lose the variables capability?

photo
photo

Same here. :-/ I had my zipabox before 1.0. I have every possible option from te Pro-license execept the only one i badly in need of; the variables in http-requests/messages.

It's ridiculous to pay $99 just for that one missing option......

photo

Same here, I bought my Zipato long before 1.0 and where in the past I was able to use parameters in emails I discovered 2 weeks ago I can no long. Please make good on the promise for early addopters and give us free PRO upgrades!

photo

As an early adopter I would surely appreciate a free pro upgrade but to be honest I fully understand that some features (cluster/additional server space, sip server and better support) aren´t in the basic package.

But I don´t understand why an average user (think I´m an average user with fewer than 20 rules) should pay 100 $ just to see variables or beeing able to use them in the mail system. Of course there are other ways to have messages being sent by using long rules (if variable =1 send Message1, if variable=2 send Message2...) but that is a pain in the a** if you need that for troubleshooting. So right now I can´t advice someone who just wants a smart home system without beeing a software engeneer to buy a Zipabox because if he or she has problems and no pro-features, it takes me an awful lot of time to identify faulty rules. And I simply don´t want to hear from friends that the system is crap just because they don´t want to spend as much time with it as I do.

Just my two cents. For me Zipabox now does what I want it to do and so I stick to the rule: Never change a running system. Think I will wait until variables are free or perhaps someday (when Zwave devices grow cheaper and there is no need for 433 MHz remotes for me anymore) I´ll have to take a new look into the growing market of smarthome hubs and start from scratch. Sorry to say that but I´m quite sure you are going to loose customers in the long run. Think you should have at least different packages (as the former Message Pro) for a reasonable price if you can´t affort it to set basic features free. Perhaps I´m wrong and you find enough people buying the pro package but for my needs it´s overpowered and ways to expensive.

photo

I have had to purchase the Pro license last year (May 2016 or so) to get some needed features (e.g.cluster...which was NOT working for months at least). I was unaware that I should have gotten them for free, as we were still on Beta firmware back then.

Just now I have had to buy another Pro license for a new Zipatile, just to discover that SIP Server is not there because I'm using a cluster...

Adding to this all the missing information on how to use and configure a lot of the Zipato feature set, I'm starting to feel like I'm paying to be a beta tester!...

photo

if you had you Zipato system before 1.0 and do not have the variable and http puzzles available, please contact support. These should be available to you. But if you require Pro features, such as cluster or SIP you will need to upgrade to the PRO licence.

Basically all the feature that were available to you before 1.0 should be available to you now. Pro licence will give you access to all new feature introduced within 1 year of your licence upgrade. This helps to give Zipato a continual income stream and continue their development of the system. No different to the monthly subscriptions from other Home controllers in the US, or the pay by plugin from Fibaro, Homeseer and otehr similar systems.

photo

I had the system before 1.0 and I just contacted support; they did not add the capability to put variables in messages.

photo

Hi, you can create and use variables in the rules but not use them in email.

photo
photo

Hello,

i dont know, if i used the zipabox before 1.0 (i have it since 2 years?).

My problem: i want to use a virtual weather device and can't, because i'm not a smart-user.

But on the website i found this info:

"Smart license however is included already with all Zipato controllers

free of charge, so you don't have to purchase it additionally."

Does anybody know, what the problem is?

Thank you for help!

photo

Do you mean you cannot add a virtual weather station ? It ask you for.a credit? if so, raise a ticket with zipato.

photo

Yes, thats what i meant. :)

Thank you

photo

Thank you

photo

Thank you

photo

Thank you

photo
photo

The virtual weather is all I need too. I can add it as a device but need PRO or SMART to make rules with Sunrise and Sunset in the Scheduler which was a standard feature with my old Telldus 433MHz controller.

photo

The smart user is limited in Block types from the Pro or Smart license point of view. Unless you already have 3 different protocols added and none of them is virtual, you should be able to create rules with weather station. Can you create virtual meters and sensors? Are you able to include them in the rules? If yes, so you should also with the weather station. If no, contact support.

photo

I have a Zipabox duo with alarm extension so I use a bunch of 433MHz devices, wired alarm sensors and plenty of Z-wave devices and try to use this virtual weather station in rules. I also have an H.264 IP Camera which rtsp stream is not coming in.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file