Bose soundtouch

Manu Joly shared this idea 7 years ago
Under Consideration

Possible to add Bose Soundtouch control to zipabox

Replies (10)

photo

API?

photo

It looks as if the Bose Soundtouch allows you to control it via its API with HTTP requests, rather like the Sonos.

See here:

http://products.bose.com/api-developer/index.html

and the forum:

https://www.soundtouch.com/Community

It actually looks very, very similar to the Sonos API. So you might want to seek out my post on how I managed to control the Sonos using HTTP requests.

photo

Thank you for your message

If I understand, you first add your sonos as a device ...

And then by rules you are able to control it ...

How can I add the bose sound touch as a device ?

photo

Well, yes and no. It's possible to add the Sonos Play: devices to the Zipabox, allowing you to set the URI (sound source), playing and pausing. In the case of the Bose this may not be an option right now.

But you can also control the Sonos devices directly using HTTP requests. For example, the Sonos Connect (which in my case acts as the ultimate sound source for all Play:1 speakers because it connects to my laptop via the line in socket) cannot be added to the Zipabox, but I can still control it anyway using HTTP POST.

See this post:

https://community.zipato.com/topic/how-to-operate-sonos-connect-with-http-post

photo

You'll need to find out the exact voodoo required by the Bose, but it looks very similar to the Sonos from my brief look at it earlier. Somewhere on the web there'll be somebody who's managed to, say, play an MP3 on the Bose by sending an HTTP request.

photo
photo

Still an answer from Zipato would be nice? I have looked at this to but I am al over the place when it comes to sound and video.

The ground is that I want to have wall switches for controlling it, if I buy any multiform system.

And som funn automation ea. when cocking music on and when turning of lights and kitchen fan turn off music. Something like that.

photo

In that case you probably want a scene controller. You can get scene controllers in the form of wall switches. They would trigger a virtual switch in the Zipabox, which would trigger the rule that turns on the speakers and starts playing the music. If you have lights controlled by home automation it would be easy to link rules to their operation, but a cooking hood might be trickier. You could plug the cooking hood into a Z-wave on/off switch (the socket of the hood is usually hidden, so it'd need to be done on installation) and then operate the hood via the Zipabox (perhaps using the same scene controller). It would need careful planning.

photo

But don't you think that is a workaround? You can also buy a raspberry pie with z-wave and program everything you want! ;-)

I am thinking you can use a wall plugin device messuer power consumption and make a rule from that. If hood is consuming more than x turn on music.... Limitless...

But Zipato need more advanced features and interface with more hifi and music systems. Bose, music cast, Samsung, cromecast audio.... And so on.

Logitech Harmony is the fast way to interact.

photo

Well, depends. Bose Soundtouch doesn't use a standard protocol, I suppose, so they'd have to add specific support for it. But if you can use HTTP requests in the meantime, why not do so? It's actually better if devices are controllable using a commonly available protocol, because that way all controllers don't need to add specific support for each brand for them to be usable.

photo

One thing does not exclude the other. But defiantly are with you.

In your opinion what is best Sonos or Bose.... If you are planing both ceiling speakers and table standing units?

The UI is everything. I could not se suport for Apple music in Bose. What have best sound quality? Factor in what you know?

photo

No idea! I've never used the Bose, in fact I didn't know about it until I read this post.

What I can say is that Sonos over wifi continually gives me problems with interference, and changing the wifi channel seems to make no difference. I've just ordered the Sonos Boost in the hope that it will fix this (it creates a separate mesh network for Sonos rather than using wifi). Compare what people are saying about the Bose. If the Boost is always needed then obviously that's another €99 on top of what is already an expensive system. The sound quality seems very good to me, although I'm no audiophile.

photo

The Sonos software leaves something to be desired, I think. One absolute no-brainer is to save the "grouped" state of speakers and automatically restore it, something many people have asked for on the forums. And yet Sonos seem unwilling or unable to implement this basic feature. The result is that, if you turn off your speakers most of the time to save power, like me, when you turn them on again they're ungrouped, and there's no way to group them via the API. If you look for my post I've sort of worked around this so that I can turn on the whole system automatically from the Zipabox every morning, but it's still a glaring deficiency.

photo

im not sure if this would help to figure out how to do this, but another app for android Macronos, allows you to set up a group of speakers and a selected playlist, then play it from a shortcut on your homescreen. Maybe there is a way to debug this app and find the url or script it sends to the sonos devices

photo

Ahh OK. So maybe there is a UPnP command to group speakers. Thanks!

photo

let me know of your results. Would like to try this out myself

photo

any news?

photo
photo

Hi there! You may find it beneficial to use a professional service for writing an essay. This can be a great way to save yourself, just say write my essays time and money while still ensuring a top-notch essay. Plus, you can trust that you'll get a well-written document every time. Goodbye!

Leave a Comment

Attach a file