This object is in archive! 

Rule for zero or excessive energy consumption using energy plug meter?

Paul Skoglund shared this question 6 years ago
Need Answer

Please help dear Cyber Rule Creators,

Objective is to get an email or sms if a pump has zero power/energy consumption for a certain time (lets say 30 min) - i.e pump is dead or if energy consumption exceeds a certain value indicating continuous pumping that kills the pump in the long run. I have an Aeon energy plug meter that monitors current power consumption (W) and cumulative consumption (kWh) for a ground water pump (that works intermittent thanks to a water limit switch).

Can some experienced rule creator hint how to create a rule that compares energy regularly, for example every hour and 30 minutes later and send an email if difference is zero or exceeds 0.25kWh (continuous 500W for 0.5h)?

Replies (4)

photo

Hello Paul,

I would split the task in two, always easier to debug smaller pieces of code. First rule looks easier to achieve, when pump doesn't run for 30 minutes, see first rule attached. I used my energy meter PH1 for demonstration.

Second task will take a bit more of work, will post separately.

photo

Second task could be acomplished with something like this, try it and let me know how it goes.

photo

Dear Alberto,

Thank you for the hints. You have taught me how to use the scheduler, variables and some other tricks using ”wait”

Finally I decided to simply calculate the energy consumption difference during 15 min and send an email ”too low energy consumption” if cumulative consumption difference is less than 0.005kWh - indicating ”dead pump”. The other potential pump issue "pump running too much” is indicated by ”cumulative energy difference exceeding 0.02kWh. If that happens an email ”excessive energy consumption” i sent.

I repeat this check every 30 minutes using the scheduler.

The rule has been added as a screen shot.

I have tested the email functions by intentional unplugging the pump and also provoking ”"continuous operation" - and confirmed that it works very well also in reality.

Thank you for great advice

/ Paul

4464c7bfe54af5f84eab42774c95f171

photo

Glad I could help!!

Leave a Comment

Attach a file