This object is in archive! 

Danfoss Z-Wave TRV - HELP PLEASE

Christopher Thorne shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I have sold a Zipato soluiton to a client and we are successfully controlling a number of things such as blinds, AC, lighting etc, and we are also trying to setup a multi-zone heating scheme in the house.

We have a number of the Danfoss TRV's and we have managed to figure out how to setup multiple TRV's as virtual thermostats. The relay from the Zipatile (Relay 1) is the boiler enable signal and swtiches the boiler on/off, and therefore we have selected Relay 1 in the device configuration options as below...

e1631ffd49af85def7c61d795b915838

So, when I adjust the temperature setting on the TRV, or via the Zipato app, to a value higher than the current temperature value I can hear the relay click and the boiler fires. Thr problem however is that we have no way of reading thde temperature from the TRV, and as far as I can tell we will need to use an external termperature sensing device/thermometer to provide the current temperature value in the room and then compare this to our setting.

However, this raises a big concern in my mind. The TRV is designed to open and close the radiator valve based on it's own temperature reading compared to it's own temperature setting. As with any zoned heating system like this, if one radiator TRV requires heating it will open the radiator valve and a signal will be sent to fire up the boiler. If we are unable to use the temperature reading from the TRV within the Zipato how can we know when to start the boiler?

If we use an external temperature sensor we could have the following situations occur as described below:

Scenario 1

Danfoss TRV temperature reading - 19DegC

Danfoss TRV temperature setting - 22DegC

External device temperature reading - 22DegC

In this scenario the Danfoss TRV will open the radiator valve but the boiler will not fire.

Scenario 2

Danfoss TRV temperature reading - 22DegC

Danfoss TRV temperature setting - 22DegC

External device temperature reading - 19DegC

In this scenario the Danfoss TRV will close the radiator valve but the boiler will be on wasting energy and the client will want to know why the temperature is showing as 19DegC and they have the setting at 22DegC but the radiator isn't getting hot.

Unless I am missing something this is surely a major problem and can lead to big issues and confusion over the heating control in the property.

Please can somebody explain how the boiler enable signal from the Zipato system can be properly tied in with the Danfoss TRV's so that if one of them opens a valve the boiler also enables.

Thank you.

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Christopher

Yes I see your problem as I had a similar one...my solution was to create a rule for each virtual thermostat combined with an external temperatur sensor. Using the rule you will know exactly when the heating should be on in a room or off. This could then trigger your boiler to turn on or off.

I hope this makes sense to you?

Regards

Beat

photo

Thank you for your reply. Yes I had already considered this but this still leaves a fundamental problem unresolved.

Lets say I have an external z-wave termperature sensor in my lounge which I use to compare against my desired temperature setting for that space which is set on the Danfoss TRV I could end up with the following scenario:

Setting on Danfoss TRV - 21DegC

Danfoss TRV temperature reading - 22DegC

External Z-Wave sensor reading - 20DegC

In this scenario the Danfoss valve will be shut. The client will see that their setting is 21DegC and that the temperature reading is showing as 20DegC. The boiler relay output from the Zipatile will be on and the boiler will be on, but the radiator will NOT get hot and therefore the client will believe there is a problem with their heating system.

I welcome your thoughts on this. Perhaps I am missing something obvious but I am confident this is not the case.

With the EvoHome system reach TRV is comparing the temperature it is reading against the termperature that is set. You can have 10 EvoHome TRV's and an one of them can tell to the boiler to fire by transmitting a demand for heating to the wireless boiler enable module.

In the case of the Zipato + Danfoss TRV setup the Zipatile is essentially the wireless boiler enable module that the Danfoss TRV's transmit their heating demand too, however if the demand for heating is not coming from the same sensor of the device that is responsible for measuring the temperature the system is fundemntally floored/faulty.

I welcome your thoughts.

photo

Christopher, sorry to insist, maybe it's a language issue from my side: have you configured a virtual thermostat? Have you followed steps on my link? Basically don't forget to add the trv into the output field!

photo
photo

Hello Christopher,

I believe you are missing the Valve into Output... See this post on how to configure the virtual thermostat, maybe it is helpful: https://community.zipato.com/topic/help-with-the-set-up-of-a-virtual-thermostat-with-2-radiators-valves. As you can see valves must me into the Ouput field for sure. Output is compulsory. Input is optional if you wish manual income on a certain valve is reflected and respected by the controller.

Regarding the reading of the temperature of the Danfoss, please check this post regarding multiroom heating and Danfoss valves: https://community.zipato.com/topic/honeywell-evohome-vs-danfosspopp-zwave-on-multiroom-heating. In this case you may need and additional device for temperature measurement.

Hope this helps!

photo

Hi Christopher,

I have done this on my system, but you need the Popp TRV to be able to get the Valves temperature reading. Its the same valve as Danfoss, but Popp has the additional functionality. Using the Popp valves you can do exactly what you are looking for with no other devices.

The issue that potential temperture difference between the valve and the sensor due to them being in different locaitons. You compensate for this by configuring an ofset on your temperature sensor so that the readings are closer to each other which will ease the issue.

However, the Danfoss valve is really designed to be a programable replacement of a standard valve which can be set to different tempertures at different times to suit the client. But the boiler control to remain on a timer or a central thermostat, which you could do using your external temperature sensor.

Hope this helps

Leave a Comment

Attach a file