Aotec nano Dimmer

Eric T. shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Hi there,

Does anyone know if the latest Aotec Nano Dimmer is fully compatible with the Zipato box? I'm tempted to try it because I bought the Zipato micro dimmer switch and it does not work with LEDs (flickering). Thanks.

Replies (4)

photo

Nano dimmer and switch should both be fully supported and working.

But are you sure the nano dimmer will solve the flicker issue?Are you sure the LED bulbs you have are dimmable at all?

photo

Well, yes I'm sure because I currently use them with non connected dimmer switches and they dim fine. Moreover I tried the Zipato dimmer with two kinds of LEDs and they both have the same flickering problem. Quite curiously it worked fine when I tested it with one LED (7W), but not with 4, whereas it's often the contrary (LED dimmer switch tend not to work fine when there is not enough load).

I'm disappointed to be honest as I really need to find a solution and I waited for Zipato to come up with a dimmer switch. Am I the only one that reported such a problem?

photo

If you use a dimmer bypass Nano dimmer will work without flickering. Aeotec has one called ZW150. Fibaro also has similar product for their dimmer as I use without problems. Don´t know about Zipato.

photo

Alright thanks. I actually ordered a bypass too just in case, so I'll try both with and without.

photo
photo

Yes the flickering is due to the low voltage, you probably have the total circuit value of less than 20W. The Aeotec goes lower (20W) than the Fibaro (50W), but both need a bypass for lower levels. The Zipato module doesn't tell you its lowest value, but assume it is similar to Fibaro. Also not sure if the Zipato dimmer module you have works with both leading and trailing edge dimmers, so you may want to check your dimmer driver/transformer also.

photo

Well what is weird is that it's exactly the opposite. It works fine when I test it with one 7 W LED, but not with 4! And no, the Zipato dimmer does not work with both leading and trailing edge dimmers, but only with leading edge lights (so it says on the box). I don't know what to do with this information though, as I've never been able to find out which system the bulbs I bought use! All I want is a dimmer that works with most LED bulbs period. Having said that I noticed that the dimmer switch is not longer listed in the product list on their site, so maybe they plan to change it for a more versatile model. Which means I got ripped off ;-)

photo

yes they are not using those micro dimmers anymore. They work fine though, just doesn't have all the inbuilt parameters that you can adjust onboard like the new version and Aeotec and Fibaro version. I have had flickering from these also, and changed them to a fibaro version. Some work good, and some not so good, cant explain why.

The globes are not leading/trailing edge, but the driver itself. Sometimes if it is a downlight the driver can be inbuilt into the housing of the led light. Should be written on the box it came in or on the housing of the LED itself. Most LED dimmers are trailing edge these days.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file