This object is in archive! 

Oregon Scientific Temperature Sensor THN132N - does it work reliably for anyone?

David Pritchard shared this question 5 years ago
Need Answer

I have an Oregon Scientific Temperature Sensor THN132N and it's been nothing but trouble since the beginning. At first there were regular gaps of maybe 12 or 15 hours between updates, and then Zipato made some fixes and it updated more regularly. But even since then readings are not received for hours, and it frequently seems to lose contact with the Zipato altogether (even without a battery change). When this happens I have to delete it, reset it, re-add it, update my rules where it's used... seriously, if this is best Zipato and Oregon Scientific can do, it's going in the bin.

Replies (2)

photo

I have used THN132N as outdoor temperature sensor for several years. At the beginning I had connectivity issues which I though were caused from a long distance from the Zipatobox (7m+ a couple of walls). I moved THN132N closer so that it is now few meters away and in line of sight with Zipatobox. I still see some gaps in the history graph but I think those are mostly caused by zipato server errors because other history graphs are showing similar gaps.

BTW seems to be happening right now - no history since 5 pm yesterday.

The only real connection issues I see when the temperature drops below -15C. Then, at some point I lose reading until the temperature rises again. Replacing batteries does not seem to help with this issue.

photo

In my case it's probably 10 meters away and behind a couple of walls. But that's where it's supposed to be... I can't move it closer because I want a temperature measurement on the north side.

I get how a few readings may be missed, but what I don't understand is how the connection with the Zipabox can be lost permanently.

photo

I am trying to remember because this is already few years ago .... I think I may have seen similar problems. Definitely readings were missed, but I may have lost the connection as well, though I am not absolutely sure about that.

Typically I am losing the connection when replacing batteries. I believe that THN132N generates a new connection key/channel/whatever every time it is booting up. Therefore, to avoid all the hassle with rule updates and re-adding the device, last time I replaced the batteries I actually connected an additional power supply parallel to batteries (directly to battery leads) so that the device newer lost power when I took out the old batteries and put the new ones in. This way THN132N did not reset itself.

I wonder if there is a some timeout so that if zipato do not see the 443MHz device for certain time it will reset the connection. Alternatively, maybe you have a loose battery connection with THN132N which could lead to a similar reset. An easy way to test this is to bring THN132N closer to zipato to see if you still experience loss device loss.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file