Will I be able to control my garage door running on 868.8 MHz with Zipabox?

Fred Flintstone shared this question 10 years ago
Answered

Hi all!

I'm looking into if Zipabox is for me. I've read that ZB have 868 MHz protocol so I checked my garage door motor. It says 868.8 MHz. Will the .8 MHz be a problem or is the 868 MHz protocol wide enough to include the decimal?

Regards

Fred

Best Answer
photo

Frequency spectrum is being used by radio device to communicate with some other radio devices which uses the same frequency AND THE SAME COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL.

So, for the devices to communicate to each other, it is necessary to communicate OVER EXACTLY THE SAME FREQUENCY AND EXACTLY THE SAME COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL.

Replies (22)

photo

Depending on the model, If the motor has auxiliary input for closing/opening, you can use a motor controller switch, door contact or other output component.

Out of the box? Don't think so.

photo

Would it be the .8-decimal that makes it a no go? That would be really stupid...a radio controlled door using the 868 MHz protocol that needs to be hard wired to work with Zipabox...

Anyone that actually know if it will work or not?

photo

No. Not the decimal, but the protocol.

http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/demystifyingzigbeeand802154.pdf

There are old cordless phones that work on 900 mhz but you can't add it to the z-wave network.

photo

Ivica Dimitrijev wrote:

No. Not the decimal, but the protocol.

http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/demystifyingzigbeeand802154.pdf

There are old cordless phones that work on 900 mhz but you can't add it to the z-wave network.

With all due respect but are you just guessing...?

The pdf you linked to relates to 802.15.4 protocol that is used for data transfer over a wireless personal network.

My garage door motor is a RF module that uses 868.8 MHz for open/close commands much like the Nexa system uses 433 MHz. Nexa can be controlled by Zipabox and since my garage door motor uses a RF module it is basically the same thing as a Nexa light switch. The only difference is the frequency and according to this site Zipabox supports both 433 and 868 MHz.

I really need someone that knows this stuff to give me a definitive answer. Can Zipabox control a RF module that uses 868.8 MHz?

photo

Sorry, you might be right. I would really like to know that, also.

In that way I could arm and disarm a wireless paradox alarm, which is also open/close function, and it operates at both 868 or 433 mhz.

photo

I suppose that if Zipabox is not compatible, any other box won't be compatible at all.

I'm ok with the fac that it would not be an "out of the box" solution, but you still can wire your garage remote to an ipx 800 and control it with the Zipabox.

I am doing this with my blinds.

It is really easy to do even with experience.

Don't hesitate if you have questions about that solution, I can give you some tips if you need.

photo

thomasfr wrote:

I suppose that if Zipabox is not compatible, any other box won't be compatible at all.

I'm ok with the fac that it would not be an "out of the box" solution, but you still can wire your garage remote to an ipx 800 and control it with the Zipabox.

I am doing this with my blinds.

It is really easy to do even with experience.

Don't hesitate if you have questions about that solution, I can give you some tips if you need.

Thanks thomasfr, I'll keep that in mind!

I think you are right in that no other gateway will have the function if Zipabox doesn't. However, there must be a reason that it's stated that Zipabox has the 868 MHz protocol. Why would it have it if you can't use it to control 868 MHz-modules?

photo

Zipabox is supporting 868.42mhz

I suppose 868 will not work as these are not exactly the same frequencies

photo

Where did you get that info? I've been searching for the specs for the Zipabox and all I've found is the site i linked to above.

As I stated my garage door is 868.8 MHz so it's really close...albeit not the exact same...

photo

Ehm...

The frequency is a thing, the protocol is another.

433 and 868 are different frequencies. On that frequencies many different protocols can communicate with compatible devices.

A device can "talk" over 433 freq, but.. if the receiver can't understand the language (protocol) of the transmitter, communication is impossibile.

Same thing for 868 freq. Zipabox talk over 868 with zwave protocol.. so only device that talk zwave "language" can interact with the box.

If you have the RF zipabox expansion module, it might be possible that your garage door can talk with the zipabox (through rf expansion) if the protocol is supported by the box.

Wait for a zipato employee to get confirm about that.

photo

If you have the RF zipabox expansion module, it might be possible that your garage door can talk with the zipabox (through rf expansion) if the protocol is supported by the box.

Wait for a zipato employee to get confirm about that.

This is exactly my question and what I´m hoping for...someone with personal experience or technical knowledge (preferably Zipato employee) to either confirm or refute that it will work. Not to be a d*ck but I'm not really interested in what people think or guess..."assumptions is the mother of all f*ckups" and I don't want to base my brand decision on what other people assumes.

photo

Type de module : Contrôleur Z-Wave• CPU : Processeur 208MHz• Mémoire : 32Mo RAM / 128Mo Flash• OS : Linux 2.6• Alimentation : AC 100 ~ 240V, 50/60Hz / 9-12VDC (adaptateur fourni)• Consommation : 2,4W maximum• Fréquence : 868,42 Mhz

But let's wait for zipato's thought about this.

photo

Frequency spectrum is being used by radio device to communicate with some other radio devices which uses the same frequency AND THE SAME COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL.

So, for the devices to communicate to each other, it is necessary to communicate OVER EXACTLY THE SAME FREQUENCY AND EXACTLY THE SAME COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL.

photo

"Frequency spectrum is being used by radio device to communicate with some other radio devices which uses the same frequency AND THE SAME COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL.So, for the devices to communicate to each other, it is necessary to communicate OVER EXACTLY THE SAME FREQUENCY AND EXACTLY THE SAME COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL."

So is this a "yes it will work" or a "no it won't work"? If is't a "it depends"...what do I need to check to be able to know? If it's a "no", what do I need to do to make it work? You state in the data sheet under "Access" that Zipatobox can open and close garage doors.

"remotely open/close your garage door or gate over any smartphone"

photo

Fred Flintstone wrote:

"Frequency spectrum is being used by radio device to communicate with some other radio devices which uses the same frequency AND THE SAME COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL.So, for the devices to communicate to each other, it is necessary to communicate OVER EXACTLY THE SAME FREQUENCY AND EXACTLY THE SAME COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL."

So is this a "yes it will work" or a "no it won't work"? If is't a "it depends"...what do I need to check to be able to know? If it's a "no", what do I need to do to make it work? You state in the data sheet under "Access" that Zipatobox can open and close garage doors.

"remotely open/close your garage door or gate over any smartphone"

So, after reading and writing all those posts: WHAT COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL YOUR GARAGE DOOR SPEAKS?!?!?

photo

Whoa dude...caps-lock?! Why are you screaming at me?

All I have been able to find out is that it is 868.8 MHz. What types of protocols are there or more specifically what protocols does Zipabox support? With that information I can contact the manufacturer of my garage door motor to see if it's compatible.

If they won't work together out of the box, is there anyway I can set up a workaround? The door can be used with a springback switch that is mounted on the garage wall.

photo

@Fred: I think that you have all your answers here

Zipabox frequency: 868.42mhz

Protocol: zwave

No garage door motor is using zwave at this time in my opinion.

But you can use workaround by wiring your motor or your remote to an ipx800 for example (which you can control by http requests using the zipabox).

Sorry about that, but you won't find any box that will control your garage door without workaround.

To better understand differences between protocoles and mhz, what you need to remind is that even a 0.01 mhz difference will make 2 systems not compatible.

It is like if you take a sony IR remote and try to use it with a Samsung TV....same protocole (IR) but not same frequencies/codes even if they are really close.

photo

Thanks thomas, I was suspecting that that would be the answer. Too bad none of the Zipato representatives was able to explain that.

Also the marketing is a bit misleading since it states that one can operate garage doors and that the box supports 868 MHz devices. I know, it's not false but it's real easy to misinterpret.

Well the garage door compatibility is not the deal breaker, I'm sure I'll be able to make it work somehow...but the strange respons from Sebastian screaming at me might make me look for another brand of Z-wave gateway...

photo

He was not screaming at you, he was poiting the fact that without knowing the protocol used by your garage door, he cannot be really more precise.

Anyway you can count on Sebastian, Milan, and all the zipato team which is supporting us ( + all the community!)

Concerning the marketing, they should add anything as "control your remote plane with zipabox" as there is definitely no limits with home automation except your imagination.

Ok it's not always out of the box solutions when it comes to control other protocols than zwave, but it will work anyway.

As I said I am controlling blinds with zipabox even if they were not compatible with zwave...I just used others workaround.It will be the same for others box ;)

For your situation you have 2 choices:

wire fibaro switch module directly to the garage door's motor

or

wire the remote to a fibaro switch or ipx800

Create a virtual switch with zipabox (Open/Close)

Create 2 rules:

WHEN virtual switch ON

action set fibaro switch/ipx800 relay to ON

WHEN virtual switch OFFaction set fibaro switch/ipx800 relay to OFF

That's it!

I hope you'll find a solution to what you need.

Cordially

photo

thomas,

In my world caps-lock is screaming but I'll let it slide.

The manual to my garage door is pretty poor but as far as I have been able to understand this door is pretty capable. There are outputs and inputs for doing all sorts of things and as I wrote earlier there is a spring back switch to manually control it. Problem is that the command circuitry is 24 Volts so I can't use for example Nexa switches for it.

photo

;)

Well you can follow this guide

http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-30#.UrSHCWTuJBw

you can use fibaro FGS 221 or FGS 211

photo

Thank you, that was really helpful! :)

Leave a Comment

Attach a file