What are the offline capabilities of the zipabox?

Leander Rijneveld shared this question 11 years ago
Answered

For which features does the zipabox rely on "the cloud". I am planning to use the zipabox in a secure location where continuous connection to the internet is not desirable. After the zipabox is configured and the rules are created; can it run without internet connection?

The offline features that we are interested in are:

- Execution/usage of the rules created using the cloud service;

- Control/monitor devices using the / a android application or webpage (local network);

- Control/monitor devices using a TCP/UDP based API.

Best Answer
photo

Yes, once the Zipabox is configured and the rules are created, it can run without Internet connection.

All the rules created using the cloud service will work. You can use sensors, standard wall switches, scheduler, http requests and socket request (TCP/UDP) to trigger the rules.

Next version of our mobile app for Android and iOS will allow you to connect directly to Zipabox without using Internet connection. We already have web server on Zipabox for this purpose but still not synchronized with mobile app completely. Hopefully, next version will be published within a month.

Replies (10)

photo

Yes, once the Zipabox is configured and the rules are created, it can run without Internet connection.

All the rules created using the cloud service will work. You can use sensors, standard wall switches, scheduler, http requests and socket request (TCP/UDP) to trigger the rules.

Next version of our mobile app for Android and iOS will allow you to connect directly to Zipabox without using Internet connection. We already have web server on Zipabox for this purpose but still not synchronized with mobile app completely. Hopefully, next version will be published within a month.

photo

That's great! Concerning the API; would it be possible, at some point, to use (monitor and control) the devices through some sort of (REST?)-API on the Zipabox?

photo

Our mobile app is based on REST API. Currently it is communicating with the server, but very soon we will allow same API for the Zipabox as well...

photo

Thanks for this reply, but I'm quite interested to comunicate and use the same cloud web interface of Zipabox, without using the zipato cloud web panel.

I mean, the integrated web server on Zipabox will shows also a web interface similar to the cloud web interface? Will it be possible or only an access via REST API will be available with a direct connection on LAN ?Thanks

photo

Only REST API will be available for direct connection to Zipabox (LAN).

photo

Is there any documentation of the REST API available somewhere ?

photo

Does this also apply to the security module? According to the website it uses a connection with the server? Or is that optional? (for notifications only?)

If for notifications only, is this customizable to use a different server?

photo

What would you like to customize?

photo

Well I must admit that I do not own a zipabox yet, but I'm really thinking about it. Anyway; what I meant was, is a connection with the zipato server required for notifications (in combination with the security module) (as shown on this page: http://zipato.com/default.aspx?id=27)

photo

Zipato servers are providing monitoring and messaging service. Without Zipato servers, monitoring and alerting is not possible but the automation logic is fully functional.

Replies have been locked on this page!