How does the controls 'Join' and 'Stop' function

Kim T. Nielsen shared this question 11 years ago
Answered

In the Rules Creator there are two controls; 'Join' and 'Stop' how does these function in a rule?

Best Answer
photo

'Join' stops all other executions of the same rule, 'Stop' stops the current execution of the rule.

If you want to make something like a stairway timer, you'd put something like

when button clicked

turn the light on

join

wait 30 seconds

turn the light off

Without that 'join', the light would turn off 30 seconds after first button click, no matter how many times you've clicked it in the next 30 seconds.

'Stop' is just our equivalent of the return statement in regular programming languages, and we'll probably rename it to 'Return'.

Replies (12)

photo

'Join' stops all other executions of the same rule, 'Stop' stops the current execution of the rule.

If you want to make something like a stairway timer, you'd put something like

when button clicked

turn the light on

join

wait 30 seconds

turn the light off

Without that 'join', the light would turn off 30 seconds after first button click, no matter how many times you've clicked it in the next 30 seconds.

'Stop' is just our equivalent of the return statement in regular programming languages, and we'll probably rename it to 'Return'.

photo

I do we need to put the join after the turn light on, or before? I had show another example where you put the join at the begenning of your rule ?

I don't understand from wher come the 30 sec in your rule ? it's a default value ?

photo

i have the same question:

- why 30 seconds?

and

- what is the meaning of refresh all?

photo

I don't think it matters as long as the join is after then when condition to isolate the rule and 30s is just a misspell, it should be 45s. See the join as a isolation of the rule to not execute again.

Refresh all, refreshes all devices to its true value.

photo

I Also have problems understanding the join/stop commands, in the example above : will the light be on (i.e 10 mins) until i click the button again and then it would go out after 30 sec. ?

photo

Hi Lars

Without that 'join', the light would turn off XX seconds after first

button click, no matter how many times you've clicked it in the next 30

seconds.

With that 'join', the light would stay on XX seconds after last button click

photo

Can someone meke som more examples whit the Join an STOP actions?

photo

if i am right

if motion in motion

turn on light

join

wait 35 sec

turn off the light

photo

sample rule

photo

If you are renaming

"stop" >> "return"

then wouldn't it be a good idea to also rename

"join" >> "unique"

?

/Marcus

photo

Took me a little while to understand the behavior of 'join': so this is how I understand it: Join will stop all 'previous' execution of the rule. So if there is a wait in the rule, a second parallel execution of the rule can occur. When the second rule hits 'join', the previous execution of the rule is stopped.

For instance the rule below will turn light off 120 seconds after sensor is in no motion, unless the rule is trigerred by motion again.

photo

check out Zipato description in relation to a motion activated light.

https://community.zipato.com/knowledge-base/article/rule-example-motion-activated-light

Leave a Comment

Attach a file