This object is in archive! 

3G module and SMS

Ivan Apostolov shared this idea 9 years ago
Under Consideration

Hi Zipato team,

1) I have this idea, since i am using your 3G module connected to the backup module, is it possible to make the needed changes so we can see what traffic are we generating using the 3G internet connection, since i have only 1 gb of internet per month.

2) And it will be much faster and easier to make Zipabox to send SMS trough the SIM card in the 3G module, since it is already connected to the zipabox and the local gsm provider will send to me much faster a message that something is wrong in my house. And i am already paying to it by using the sim card for the internet.... A lot of cheaper home alarm systems like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/433MHz-Voice-Wireless-Wired-GSM-Home-Security-Burglar-Alarm-System-Auto-Dialer-/400746458451?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4e59ad53 support sms sending trough the sim card, why not Zipabox......

3) Since i have 433mhz module, are those sensors from the 433mhz alarm (see the link), are supported? If not, include them, since i already have that kind of alarm, why not use the sensors? The alarm has some inputs (via cables), but why bother to try to connect the security expansion module of the zipabox with this alarm in order to send me sms via my gsm provider, since i have Zipabox with 3G module and security module and 433mhz module... I wan all in one, that is what i paid for... Please take my suggestions very sirius and i think that if you make those changes all the customers will be grateful and your product will be much more attractive to future/potential customers.

If you have more questions, please just ask! I want your product to become a better one, since i already own it :)

Regards!

Best Answer
photo

1. Not at this time, but while using the 3G backup only small amount of data is exchanged, so you should be OK with 1GB per month.

2. 3G sticks currently operate only in data mode, and only as backup when wired Internet connection is not available. This may be added in the future though.

3. Not supported now, but may be in the future.

Replies (7)

photo

1. Not at this time, but while using the 3G backup only small amount of data is exchanged, so you should be OK with 1GB per month.

2. 3G sticks currently operate only in data mode, and only as backup when wired Internet connection is not available. This may be added in the future though.

3. Not supported now, but may be in the future.

photo

Zipato cloud is automatic monitoring station, which takes care about availability of the system. In case someone jamming the 3G network and Zipabox is unavailable, or someone just enter and smash the Zipabox together with 3G dongle and SIM card in it, Zipato cloud will anyway send an alert to the customer about the disability of the system.

photo

SMS is a good idea but backup module and 3G must be stabil before that step.

Can you add an option in general settings; if zipabox is offline send an email?

photo

Hi Zipato

I am a zipato resealer in Iran section. Sms is a very good idea that unfortunately zipato does not support it.

It will be very attractive option for zipato.

photo

security system need sms not email

photo
photo

Are there any news about that?

It would be very nice to have sms with the backup module.

photo

Agree!!! I would also like sms!!

photo

SMS is urgently needed for a Security system as it needs a lot less resources than 3G. So the adressee may get the text even having very poor connection of either sender or receiver.

Joachi

photo

Maybe via one of the many Python scripts to be found in the Web, using AT-commands, so an action 'StartScript' would be necessary.

Kind regards;

Jo

photo

Why can't you use the sms service from Zipato?

Alternatively, I use Twilio for all my Sip, voice, sms services. A very complete system with compatibility via Python, Node.js, PHP, Ruby, Curl, C#, Java.

photo

Well, i just had an Internet outage of more than 5 hours. That is only a coincidence ( First one in 6years) but exactly the reason to have a 3G dongle to be used. It is one of the most reliable modes of communication, Even a power outage hindering a communication of zipatile with the router would be no problem. And sending a Text directly needs a lot less resources than to establish a GPRS or LTE Connection needed for the zipato SMS service . I remember some situations in france and italy in which i could not start a simple call, but sending a Text was possible.

So it is just better in terms of Safety. Useful in critical situations.

Kind regards;

Joachim

photo

Agreed. We usually set up a router that has a 3g backup also and UPS. This way when the hardlines go down, they have the 3g backup and the local wifi still available. I have also used a wall mounted tablet with a 3g sim to send a sms via a Tasker (app) profile if the local connection is down.

photo

hi Adrian,

I want to do something similar to what you mentioned here. I want to backup my router with a UPS and use a tablet with 3g to send notifications if the connection goes down.

I'm having troubles identifying the right UPS for the job. Do you have any suggestion? How long should the backup power last in your opinion?

Marco

photo

A good quality small computer UPS should do the job (500 to 1000VA), I have this setup at home and the UPS powers Zipabox, Internet Router, Phillips Hue gateway (not really needed), never lost power more than a few minutes at home but this should last at least for 6 hrs (1000VA).

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file