This object is in archive! 

Switch and Schedule

Finn shared this question 6 years ago
Need Answer

I have different rules for my radiators. The rule to the left working well but I need the possibility to switch it off so I added a Switch as shown to the left. (I need 3 setup: Weekdays, Holidays and Away).

The rule with switch stops at the Schedule. I don't get the "Control message" after the schedule.

What is wrong? (I have tried different settings with Join, Repeat etc.).

Is it possible to setup a Switch with 3 settings?

Best Answer
photo

Well, firstly you will need to have as many rules as many different states you want to have. You will need to make rules for:

1. virtual switch or sensor (I recommend sensor) named weekday - one rule triggered by one scheduler

2. virtual sensor Friday - one rule triggered by one scheduler

3. virtual sensor Saturday - one rule triggered by one scheduler

4. virtual sensor Sunday - one rule triggered by one scheduler

5. virtual sensor Holiday - for this switch see post https://community.zipato.com/topic/tutorial-how-to-find-out-if-its-national-holidays

6. virtual switch Away - unless you find out some way to automate this switch (like when you arm the system, the best is to have this as a switch so you can manually toggle

I would strongly advise you to start using the virtual thermostat and set up different states in there as it supports Comfort, ECO, AWAY and Night modes.

Now simply with another rules you would change the virtual thermostat. These rules would also use a scheduler and would repear for example on hourly basis, then in the if they will check the states of different swithces (like if HOLIDAY is ON and AWAY is OFF)... or IF HOLIDAY is OFF and Saturday ON...

For the AWAY, you can simply create a rule that would trigger on AWAY switch state change and change the thermostat to away mode.

It would be a long writing to finish these rules from my head, so start experiemnting and then get back to us once you have the basis things set up.

Replies (6)

photo

You cannot "test" on a Schedule / use a Schedule inside the rule. It can ONLY be used to _trigger_ a WHEN, i.e. at the beginning of a rule.

photo

If you need to "test" based on time you have to use IF TIME OF NOW IS BETWEEN TIME X AND TIME X.

photo

@Robert/@Alberto

OK the Schedule have to be at the beginning in the WHEN, like my rule to the right thats works. But how do I place a Switch for turning the rule ON and OFF? I have tryed to place it inside the WHEN but it seems get some error (At left in screendump).

How is the best way to switch between 3 different rules (Holiday, Work weeks and Away)?

photo
photo

Please explain what you want to achieve; how you want things to work. That way it's easier to offer help...

photo

Hi

I would like to have 3 way of settings for my thermostats in Living Room.

1: Working Week. I have made 4 Rules (Monday-Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday)

2: Holiday. Want to have the same settings every day so only 1 Rule.

3: Away. 1 Rule for setting low temperaure when we are away from home, one or more days.

I would like one button to switch between these 3 settings if its possible.

photo

Well, firstly you will need to have as many rules as many different states you want to have. You will need to make rules for:

1. virtual switch or sensor (I recommend sensor) named weekday - one rule triggered by one scheduler

2. virtual sensor Friday - one rule triggered by one scheduler

3. virtual sensor Saturday - one rule triggered by one scheduler

4. virtual sensor Sunday - one rule triggered by one scheduler

5. virtual sensor Holiday - for this switch see post https://community.zipato.com/topic/tutorial-how-to-find-out-if-its-national-holidays

6. virtual switch Away - unless you find out some way to automate this switch (like when you arm the system, the best is to have this as a switch so you can manually toggle

I would strongly advise you to start using the virtual thermostat and set up different states in there as it supports Comfort, ECO, AWAY and Night modes.

Now simply with another rules you would change the virtual thermostat. These rules would also use a scheduler and would repear for example on hourly basis, then in the if they will check the states of different swithces (like if HOLIDAY is ON and AWAY is OFF)... or IF HOLIDAY is OFF and Saturday ON...

For the AWAY, you can simply create a rule that would trigger on AWAY switch state change and change the thermostat to away mode.

It would be a long writing to finish these rules from my head, so start experiemnting and then get back to us once you have the basis things set up.

photo

@Attila

Thanks for your very fine answer. I couldn't find out how to use the a virtual sensor/switch for all my rules (6 different rules). I cant find out how the rules can be triggered by a sensor/switch. And cant find any examples.

So I looked at your advice for the virtual thermostat. I did not know this feature before, so I have tried to find out how i works. So for now it seems the right for me - thank you very much for the idea.

I have tried to search in the community, to find some good explanation, how to get the benefit of the virtual thermostat. I found some, but do you know how to find a full instruction for this feature?

Fore example I cant find out how to switch between modes (Away, ECO etc) at my mobile phone app.

photo
photo

To simply change to different modes in mobile app is not possible as you can change temperature. For mode change you can setup a virtual switch and a rule that would change to away mode if you turn on virtual switch (switch rename Away)

photo

Thanks. I have made this Switch, and it works fine (so far).

The Thermostat AR have another Switch, for going back to normal Program.

photo
photo

I think you can remove hold pernamenet.

photo

@Attila

If I don't have the HOLD PERMANENT, the settings is set to UNTIL NEXT. And if I'm away for one or two days the settings go to standard PROGRAM.

Or do I miss a Setting option?

photo
photo

Surely not. It was an idea. I did not know that without hold pernamenet the setting will go back to schedule at next change. Thx for the info.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file