Hot Water Tank

Graeme Dorrance shared this question 5 years ago
Need Answer

Is there any way to use a Virtual Thermostat to Control a hot water tank. I have a Fibaro universal module with a temperature sensor on the tank.

The problem is I need to heat the tank to 65'C

Best Answer
photo

I have done it with a simple rule

seems to work well

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Graeme

sounds interesting to me but how do you measure water temperature in hot water tank? Could you post a Picture how you installed the sensor to measure the water temperature?

Not sure what you exactly want to achieve with a virtual thermostat but I imagine you would like to run heat up if temperature is below a certain temperature and only during night? This could be done simple with a rule...

Thanks

Beat

photo

Hi

I can take a picture tonight. I basically have a fibaro univeral sensor with a digital temperature sensor attached, I clamp that to the water tank. I have used this in my HomeSeer systems. We are evaluation the Zipatile.

The issue I have with using the rule creator is I cant seem to get the temperatures to be available in the rule creator from any Fibaro multisensor or universal sensor.

What I want to achieve is that at 5am the temperature boosts to 60'C when we are in the house.

When the house in in home mode the water tank temperature would be maintained. When away the water tank temperature would go to frost protection mode basically.

photo

Hi Graeme

Yes please send me that Picture. Sounds really interesting!

To the rules creator...I'm sure you can get the temperature from the fibaro's in the rule Controller. Maybe also post a Screen shot of the rule and how you try to check the temperature.

Just a little hint. You Need to use the measure device (not the sensor) in your rule (sorry I use the german version). See attached pic to see what I mean.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Beat

photo

Here is the screen shot of the rule creator. I will put it into a When rule once I get attributes to work.

photo

Hi Graeme

did you try to mark one level above and top level as device?

Thanks

Beat

photo
photo

Do you get readings at all? As far as i know the universal sensor is not compatible with digital but with analog sensors

photo

Yes the values show up in the Device browser. The fibaro Universal sensor is compatible with up to 4 DS18B20 sensors.

I currently have this setup but using homeseer

photo

I asked a question in support of using a thermostat to heat the boiler. I was told that now it will not be supported. I came out of the situation as follows: created a virtual thermometer that divides the temperature readings DS18B20 in half. It sets the temperature in the thermostat. Thus, my thermostat adjusts the temperature from 10 to 80 degrees. Everything works.

photo

I have done it with a simple rule

seems to work well

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file