This object is in archive! 

Set the default value of a dimmer depending on time (for example 15% during the night)

Guest shared this idea 10 years ago
Under Consideration

I have a FGD211 and I wanted to make a rule to set a specific value when I turn on the light during the night or during the day.

The idea would be to set the default value to 15% during the night and 80% during the day.

I did a rule that set the value to 15% during the night but when I push the button of my light, first it goes to the last value (let say 95%) and then the rule is called and the light is set to 15%. My rule is working but it is too slow and it is "hard" when you open the light during the night!.

I think the best would be to send to the module its default value at 10pm for example and another default value at 8am for example. So then the module would use this value when I would push the button.

Is it possible with this module or in the zwave protocol?

Replies (10)

photo

Can u post the rule?

And what kind of wall switch do you have?

photo

I have a push button

Actually I'm not surprised, because the module store the last value, when I click on the push button it recall the value, send a request to the box, the box set the value to 10, but during that time the module has turn on the light to the last value.

I think the solution is to set the last value by the box before someone turn on the light!. But may be I'm missing something

The rule is in attachment

The values are for testing

Files: rule.jpg
photo

I don't have the dimmer. But can u not work with a delay and then turn on?

Or turn on the lamp at 10pm and set the valua and turn it off again.

Or when u turn off the lamp set the valua to 15% and then turn it off again.

photo

Obviously I can turn on the light every day and set the value manually, turn off so next time it will be ok. But the job of automation is to do something automatically and to program things.

photo

Offcourse Fred i did not mean manually but automatically.

And Yes, this is a dirty workaround but they where just some wild ideas.

photo

never tried, but like this?

photo

Your solution looks similar as mine, the problem is not about the rules, the problem is about delay; the delay between the user push the button and the rulke is applyed. Have a look to the diagram. The best wold be to send a message to the dimmer at night for setting the night level value and at morning for setting the day level value. But I do not know if it is faisable with z-wave or with these module or with the actual capabilities of the rules.

photo

I used this tool, I did not know it before but it is great and free:

http://www.websequencediagrams.com/#

photo

Fred, do you think a workaround like this would work?

I assume that's not a perfect thing, but it might be another way to do it...

Let's say you want your light at 100% when between 8am and 8pm and at 20% between 8pm and 8am.

WHEN time now is 8am

SET dimmer 100%

SET dimmer 0%

another rule

WHEN time now is 8pmSET dimmer 20%SET dimmer 0%

I'm not sure about it, but I suppose that when you'll manually push the light button it will reach last defined level, isn't it?

photo

hello Fred,

2 ideas:

1. I'm already doing exactly want you want... without any button : the light is turned on (at a % depending on time) by motion sensors ;-)

2. in order not to have the light turned on to the previous value by the module before the rule is triggered, you may try to plug your button to the S2 input and catch the event through the box only... Even if then the light won't turn on if the box does not work.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file