IP Cam - change FTP settings

Steffen Niehues shared this question 8 years ago
Answered

I am using a Foscam FI9826W and would like to use my own FTP server to store the pictures. However, as soon as Zipabox finds and adds the camera, the fields in the camera settings are disabled and cannot be changed.

Any other way to change the FTP data?

Thanks

Steffen

Replies (4)

photo

I changed this data in the camera setup.

photo

I did as well (meaning in the Foscam Software) however nothing is stored on the FTP server via Zipabox rule although the Foscam software shows that the connection is fine ("success"). Scheduled recordings set in the Foscam are stored on the FTP server. I can see picture in Zipabox's control center in the camera settings (see attached pic) however. I have synced everything multiple times of course.

Any help is welcome.

Files: snap.jpg
photo

Hi Steffen,

The issue you have comes from the fact that Zipabox takes complete care of your camera and provides FTP storage on remote location that you get with Zipabox. Idea is that you still have images and recordings saved on remote location if something happens at location where camera is located. FTP account for your camera is generated by server when camera is added to system and deleted when removed. That account information can only be seen by people that use the box and if any user can modify those fields then you would loose access to your records and we wouldn't be able to help you as we don't have access to that information. That is why you can't change those fields.

Still there are two ways you can solve this problem.

First one is easy but it is not clean solution. Connect to camera through its web page available through Zipabox WEB UI, and change its FTP settings to your FTP settings and it will use your FTP so long as you don't reboot or re-sync the box.

Second one is possible for most of the cameras but not all, depends on camera model and manufacturer but it is better solution. Just tick in alarm section of camera to "save images and recordings on local SD card" and keep "store on remote FTP" ticked also. Then create script on your FTP server that will call your SD card through CGI command of your camera and copy contents to your FTP server. Camera will in that case store to Zipato FTP as it is doing now and also on SD card at the same time and you will call that SD card and copy contents to your FTP server.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Zipato team

photo

Hi there,

I actually would like to pick an FTP server on my own that I have under control. Having picture material from sensitive areas on a foreign server as the only "clean" solution is definitely not my desired solution. In case it gets hacked, the material is out in the world. If this happens on my own FTP, It is my problem, at least I can manage it myself. Please consider to make the storage on a Zipato server an option and not a mandatory requirement.

Thanks

Steffen

Leave a Comment

Attach a file