This object is in archive! 

best in wall z-wave switch for LED lighting

quizzical shared this idea 4 years ago
Completed

I want to control my non-dimmable LED lights in a number of areas.

I purchased the Fibaro FGS-223 Double switch, which can control 2 separate lights.

This works, however I read afterwards tat this device can only be used for resistive loads (incandescent light bulbs) and not for (capacitive of inductive) LED lights.

The reason is apparently that LED lights can have a very high inrush current when you turn them on. I see indeed that my Meanwell Driver states that it can generate 60 amps current for 0.85 milliseconds during startup. Apparently after a couple of months this can cause the Fibaro Switch's contacts to weld stuck to eachother so that the lamp is permanently on and can no longer be switched off. This can be temporarily solved by smacking the fibaro switch for example with the back of a screwdriver.

Are there Z-wave switches (preferably those that can control 2 lights as it halves the price) that are suitable for LED?

Or is my only option to use Z-wave dimmers (which don't exist in a double version)?

Many thanks

Replies (3)

photo

Thats right you can't use the FGS-223 for LEDs. In my case after one week the relay didn't work anymore. The best relay for that case is a WiDom WIDEWDS Doppel-Relay. Meanwhile I have a lot of these relays, it's very good.

photo

Many thanks AP,

I assume that this is the switch you are referring to: https://www.widom.it/en/smart-double-switch/

And that this is the feature which makes it better for LED lighting:

Longer duration

The zero crossing feature reduces the electrical stress on the relay contacts and ensures a longer life of the devices.

I think I will give these a try.

I see in the manual that it is lacking one feature that the Fibaro Switch has. With the fibaro switch I can choose how you want it to work with a classic bistable 'toggle' switch:

1 - contact closed - On, contact opened - OFF

2 - device changes status when switch changes status

I assume the WiDom switch only works in this second mode right? That's a problem for me for some lights in my house.

photo

no you have the choice. It works with a switch and a button

/cbecee001fbc13de3a5110b11437e39c

photo

Let me be clearer. The FIbaro switch has three options:

0 - momentary switch

1 - toggle switch (contact closed - On, contact opened - OFF)

2 - toggle switch (device changes status when switch changes status)

So for the toggle switch it has two different options. It seems like the WiDom only has one option (i assume of the second type).

I'm happy to see from your screenshot that it has been properly configured in the Zipato software.

This WiDom manufacturer is not well know where I live it seems, but I'll purchase one from abroad.

photo

Hi I asume you need this for a cross-connect. I have also taken this complicated path in the past, but its easier to connect all switches as parallel switching.

/e82c1b42dd9174fb46ae74da39f22c5f

photo

Thanks AP,

No my issue is that I want to connect a toggle/bistable switch and a motion sensor to I1. The light should turn on:

- When I turn it on using the toggle switch

- When the sensor sees motion

This means that I need the Z-wave module to turn on the light when it detects 230volt on I1 and turn it off when the voltage goes back to 0. The Fibaro switch is able to operate in this mode. One downside is that if I turn on the light using my smartphone and thus the toggle switch is still in the 'off' position (delivering 0V to I1), then to turn off the light using the toggle switch I first need to turn the toggle switch on (to 230V) and then back off again. I can live with that.

My understanding is that the WiDom cannot operate in this mode and that on any change on I1 it will simply toggle the state of the light. For example if the light is on (e.g. because I turned it on using the smartphone), and then motion sensor sees motion and thus puts 230V on I1, then the light will turn off. So it would seem like the WiDom isn't suitable for motion sensors as input.

acd908debbbb5e42e0c6796f2abe62d1

photo

I think I found by chance the switch that I need!

The Zipato Double Swich has Zero crossing technology so that it can switch LED lights and supports the kind of mode that I need (called EDGE MODE in this switch):

3.4.1 | EDGE MODE This mode is suitable for the bi stable wall switch that has indicator point on the Micromodule, and the same position correspond to same state of relay1 and relay2. if the Switch’s relay changes the state because of receiving Z-Wave RF command, it may need two switchings (switch on to off or switch off to on) to let relay back to the corresponding state.

3.4.2 | PULSE MODE this mode is suitable for the toggle type wall switch to swap the state of Relay1 or Relay2.

3.4.3 | EDGE-TOGGLE MODE This mode is suitable for the normal bi-stable switch, every state change of the wall switch will also swap the state of Relay1 or Relay2

photo

Made a double post by mistake

photo

I believe it's the same device like the Philio PAN06.

photo

Great tip! It's cheaper under the Philio brand than under the Zipato brand :)

It looks the same, also has the 'EDGE MODE' and has the zero crossing technology "The new smart relay calibration technology can reduce the inrush current caused by the load and let the module work perfectly with many kind of light like incandescent, fluorescent and LED light."

I assume it will work well with the Zipabox as it is identical to the Zipato switch...

photo

In fact I think it's actually the same device as the Philio PAN04, not the PAN06. The PAN04 can measure energy consumption.

photo

As far as I know, it is not possible, but you can try to change the LED lights to ribbons. Now their popularity is due to their technical characteristics and attractive appearance.

photo

This type of lighting is often used to highlight certain areas in apartments, private houses, or many other rooms. By the way, I now have these strips at home too, only I choose also with a musical mode. My friends advised me to try this one https://www.vont.com/product/smart-strip-lights-led-strip-lights/. For me, it is important that the light intensity can be steplessly adjusted. Most fluorescent lamps cannot be dimmed.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file