This object is in archive! 

Irrigation rule - should stop when rain is detected

Frank Moser shared this question 7 years ago
Need Answer

Hi,

I have set up an irrigation system with Fibaro FGS-222 relays and 24V hunter valves, which works like a charm. I have set up a rule to start irrigation of the different zones in morning and it works. It is just annoying that irrigation is on even if it rains.

To solve this problem, I have bought a Scientific Oregon rain meter that measures total rain and rain rate. I would now like to set up a rule that switches off the irrigation if there is rain.

I have set up the attached rule (for one zone only) that is triggered by a certain time (here in the morning). The rule says that if the rain rate equals 0 (in other words, it does not rain) then the irrigation valve is opened, else the valve stays closed.

Looking forward to some feedback!

Replies (2)

photo

How do you supply 24v to the valves? With pluggable 24v power supplies for each valve?

photo
photo

this looks fine, i am not familiar with the oregon sensors and their outputs, but the rule looks fine. I have used a similar rule but with the virtual weatherstation. This checks the weather forecast for the next 2 days, and if there will be less than 2mm of rain, turn on the sprinklers.

photo

Hi Adrian, thanks for the feedback. I have changed it a bit not using 'if...else' but 'if....if' and now it works. Problem still is that if it rained a day before, I don't want the sprinklers to start. Need to see if I can access historic information for the Scientific Oregon rain sensor (anybody tried that with these type of sensors?)

Frank

photo

Try to make a new rule that checks is there was any rain this day, if true set a virtual meter to +1, if no rain set to -1. You can check the virtual meter in the sprinkler rule if it is less than 0 for example. When it rains for one week at the time, you don't have to water the plants the next day.

photo

Hi Sander,

Sounds great.

Following your advice, I have programmed three rules.

First rule is triggered every hour and checks if there is currently rain (rain rate >0). If so, it increases a value for 'rainy days' by +1. If not it decreases the value by -1.

Second rule triggers every hour and resets the 'rainy day' counter to 0 if there are too many 'dry days', which would mean that counter drops too far below zero.

Third rule is checked every 24 hours (the actual irrigation) and switches on the irrigation if the 'rainy day' counter is zero. It does not switch it on when the counter is > 0.

The rule would imply that for each hour of rain, the system waits the same time before it switches on the irrigation.

Hope this works. Any feedback is welcome.

photo

Frank,

in your first rule (counting raining hours) you have RAIN SENSOR.

is this RAIN SENSOR virtual device or something else ????

Regards,

photo

These days, there are loads of least expensive approaches to create power. The sun-oriented board is probably the least expensive approach to deliver the power. Furthermore, we can visit https://curiousmindmagazine.com/how-to-use-essay-writing-services-smart/ to assign professionals for our help. your site is the best site that gives us various types of modest bundles related to the sunlight-based board. Which is helpful and not exactly the market rate.

photo

Hey readers of this forum! Thank you so much for posting useful information, like this, because I could not find anything about that! But I want to say a few words about studying. No time to write correct essays like other smart students?! Then you must click and visit this professional writing company's https://topswriting.com/review/ewriters webpage where you can purchase tasks online and all your study problems will be solved. All my classmates and friends are using this superb agency already.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file